Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Custom Air-Box Lids

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Holy buckets , That looks so sweet Christien.
Can't wait to get it . Pic's soon guy's

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
I made this one over the winter with a table saw and some sanding...I never got around to finishing it but i took i picture for you....yours are much higher quality...mine is plexiglass(i think)
That looks nice! I have the lid drawn in CAD so it is a perfect match to the original dimensions, then I add the custom artwork. I am in the process of sourcing Medium Denisty Foam as I have the gasket drawn as well. The stuff I am trying right now doesnt cut very well with a laser, but since it is already in cad, there is a foam company in Knoxville that I can have this sourced and then offer a one piece gasket. This will be benificial to anyone trying to stuff a K&N under the stock lid, as well as, offer the clearence needed for the flat lexan and then I can offer a few colors as well as 1/2 and 1" thickness. I tried using the play mat foam, looks great, easiely available.... cuts like **** with a laser, that stuff needs a press pattern.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
That looks nice! I have the lid drawn in CAD, then add the artwork. I am in the process of sourcing Medium Denisty Foam as I have the gasket drawn as well. The stuff I am trying right now doesnt cut very well with a laser, but since it is already in cad, there is a foam company in Knoxville that I can have this sourced. This will be benificial to anyone trying to stuff a K&N under the stock lid, and I can offer a few colors as well as 1/2 and 1" thickness. I tried using the play mat foam, looks great, easiely available.... cuts like **** with a laser, that stuff needs a press pattern.
yours is so much more in depth then mine. I found a piece of plexiglass in my basement and started cutting, and still have not sanded the saw marks and what not....I took a class in High school where i remember etching(sandblasting) glass for some clocks we made in woodworking..thats all the experience i have
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM

Badass, You don't want to know what I paid for the laser.... I hope it looks good.

Here is what I was talking about for a gasket, this one is out of playmat, and cuts like crap It is 1/2"x1/2" shouldnt let any air in.

Chris, I'm not gonna send this untill I can get you something better, notice it has a bunch of trimmings hanging on.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 PM

I used thick window A/C stripping... worked surprisingly good...I want a corvette like intake where a vent of some sort could squeeze above the radiator and into the front of the airbox...but the results may not be worth the work
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 AM

Instead of using a thick gasket that will eventually break down and get uneven, make up lexan shims and notch them so a custom fit 'o' ring can be used....or a colored silicone rope that can be cut to length and bonded..that would give a kind of 3d racing stripe around the perimeter....and a positive seal....
Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM

I could just make a plexi gasket and add the grooves. the problem lies in lining it up to cut both grooves on either side.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM

Some new lid ideas I added a much better looking HHR to "fast little wagon
Attached Images      
Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 AM

and more still.... and still to come
Attached Images    
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Nazgul 9

Ok... I love the skulls...... I mean they all look great!!! but I REALLY... like the Skulls....

Quick Reply: Custom Air-Box Lids