Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Exhaust mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM

Exhaust mods?

From what I have read and searched for, there doesn't seem to be a system/muffler available which sounds good without also increasing interior noise to much. I'd like to open up the exhaust a bit to free it up some, but don't want to really increase the interior noise much (if at all) since I have been there and done that already with previous vehicles. I also don't want it to sound ricey or have an interior drone either.

Those of you members that have done exhaust, either kits or custom, what have you done and how has it been for sound and interior noise? What size pipes and what brand muffler if you've done a custom one?

Help me out here! Thanx!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

I did mine and the cheep Chinese mufflers are too loud and had to replace resonator with a muffler sounds good now. so the mufflers worked out to be big tips. I picked them for the tips anyway,when they need replacement that is what I'll do just change the ends to tips,and replace the muffler right where it is now. I didn't notice any difference in power even before the muffler when there was no added back pressure. So if you like the sound the way it is I would respectfully suggest you pick the tip you like and have it switched,keep the muffler.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM

I think a "stock" SS system on an LT would be a good upgrade...... Bigger pipe all the way back.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM

You will want to extend the muffler tip out a bit more if you are wanting to keep the cabin noise down this will help , I would suggest larger diameter pipe all the way from the cat back a good muffler shop can help you there and a quality muffler on the end like a flowmaster 40 JMO
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Deceased

I run the GMPP exhaust on the '07 and '11 and the interior noise only went up the tiniest bit, just added a nice rumble and snort. The Magnaflow system on the '06 did make for more of a drone on the highway, but the wife likes it, so there ya go. You can always add more sound proofing to the vehicle, some folks find that doing the spare tire well makes a big difference.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Magnaflow

I used a Magnaflow muffler and the sound would resonante in the cabin a little, so I added an extra 12" resonator just ahead of the exisiting one and now the sound is just right.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM

Full MagnaFlow Exhaust System

Interior noise is up over stock but I like that! I want the sports car sound. I also did the Airaid airbox too & it adds a bunch of howl. But only when you stomp on it!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the input! I'm thinking I may check with a local shop that does a lot of custom SS exhaust and see what they may recommend and what they think may work for me. I know almost any exhaust mod will likely raise interior noise some, and that I can deal with, I just don't want to have to shout to carry on a conversation or have to have the radio cranked to hear it; I had that with my last vehicle.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Without tuning your 2.2 to basically remove any fuel enrichment delay you will not really open up anything for better performance! A bolt on mandrel bent stainless steel set up from magnaflow with some dynamat in the spare tire well (as per 843de) would be the most practical way and then add a trifecta tune! Also if adding any other engine mods due the tune after!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Mrs. DLVRNIT, Been there with previous vehicles, done all that with them. Funds being what they are, any mods are little by little. Not totally after performance, just want to give it a deeper tone and a bit of a purr; any increase in output or mileage will only be a plus.

Quick Reply: Exhaust mods?