Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

3M scratch removal kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

3M scratch removal kit

Has anyone used this kit. It comes with a 3000 grit sanding wheel, a buffer wheel, and a few other things and it used with a standard household drill. Is it safe and will it remove my scratches if I follow the directions?

I just want to make sure I am not going to mess up my car if I use it. I have just regular scratches from parking lots and such, no keys or anything like that. Let me know if you know any tips for removing scratches.

I have also watched youtube videos about doing it, like with rubbing and polishing compound but I am a little gunshy about it. Let me know any tips.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM

I would be leery especially if you have no experience in repairing damaged paint. If your scratches are really deep, that is down to the primer, you need to have it sanded out and repainted. If they are not too deep, often a soft rag with white polishing compound and good old fashioned elbow grease will work wonders. For particularly stubborn scratches use the white polishing compound and a buffing wheel (preferably with an orbital buffer) with a wool buffing pad. Never hold the buffer in one place, always keep it moving in slow circles so as not to burn through the paint.

I've been painting cars as a hobby for over 30 years. I personally would be uncomfortable using a drill for buffing. Its much harder to hold and control, compared to buffing machine.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM

The video they have makes it look so easy, and covers the scratches so well. It basically just uses a 3 step process with the drill as the buffer. You first wet sand with 3000 grit, then used a polishing compound with buffer pad, then a buffing compound with the pad, and then polish.

Is the polishing compound the way to go. I have some scratches that are just in the clear coat, an a couple that are deeper. Is there a way to fix the deeper scratches without a repaint? Someone told me to use the touchup paint to fill the scratches in, then use 3000 grit wet sand paper to smooth it out, then polishing compound to buff it to a shine. Will that work. I touched them up and of course they look horrible, but at least they are filled in.