Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Adding '49 emblems to HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:42 AM

Adding '49 emblems to HHR

Since the HHR is a retro looking 1949 Chevy Suburban, I wanted to add to the authenticity of the look. I added an authentic '49 Chevy hood ornament, as well as the chromed Chevrolet lettering from the '49 Suburban to both sides of the hood.

I also stripped all the emblems off the rear of the car, as well as the two little GM squares on the front fender skirts.

This weekend, I will remove the front grill and take it from a 5 bar to a 3 bar, and remove the Chevy bow tie. I will repaint the grill white and add the 1949 hood emblem from an original Suburban. Next week, I will remove the rear bow tie and repaint the area white to match the car and add the Chevrolet logo in red. I'll have to research the logo to see if I can recreate it. I'll post pictures of this mod when it's completed.

In the mean time, here are some photos - the last one is the before rear:

Last edited by UncleDannie; 05-16-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Fixed IMG tag
Old 05-16-2009, 10:21 AM

I like it.........
Old 05-16-2009, 10:26 AM

That's going to look GREAT, Uncle Dannie! Any thoughts to a visor or different wheels? With the AA5 option, it will look really unique.

Look forward to seeing it again.

@

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 08-12-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 PM

The visor, although I like it, will have to wait for a little while, as other mods will take precedence. I intend to remove the rear wiper, but not until I'm able to install a spoiler, to disrupt the air currents. As far as different wheels, not at this time. I might modify a set of 1949 hubcaps to attach, but haven't fully thought it out yet.

I'm happy people appear to approve of the mods so far, however, I did get a lot of flak locally about removing Mr. Mom from the car. My girls all left for Florida last Tuesday and I won't see them again for 7 months.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM

The rear-wiper is somewhat superfluous for parts of CA--hence why some of us no longer have it.
Not sure what you mean by disrupting air currents--physics is not my forte..

Nevertheless, I think a visor would certainly set it off!

@
Old 05-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Sorry for not being clearer. On an HHR, because of the slant on the rear, dirt and rain easily accumulates, thus the need for a rear wiper system. If you have a spoiler, it will disrupt the airflow so that rain and dirt are less likely to hit the rear glass. The open style (see red HHR) is normally better, as it forces air down thru the opening, thereby disrupting the airflow. A solid one (see black Smartcar) disrupts the airflow by creating a vacuum-effect that disrupts the airflow.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie
Sorry for not being clearer. On an HHR, because of the slant on the rear, dirt and rain easily accumulates, thus the need for a rear wiper system. If you have a spoiler, it will disrupt the airflow so that rain and dirt are less likely to hit the rear glass. The open style (see red HHR) is normally better, as it forces air down thru the opening, thereby disrupting the airflow. A solid one (see black Smartcar) disrupts the airflow by creating a vacuum-effect that disrupts the airflow.
LOL!
I figured that is what you were alluding to.
I know the back is the most challenging area to keep clean--but the rear-wiper we have is useless with the small circumference area it cleaned--and that is why it is gone!

But, you know how OCD we are about keeping them clean, so it is rarely dirty.
I like the SS spoiler best.

thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 PM

I heard that the spoiler doesn't make too much of a difference on keeping it clean...you'll have to let us know if you see any difference. I really like what you've done so far! I agree though that a visor would be awesome!!!

You know what I think you should do at least is maybe baby moon hubcaps might compliment it nicely...perhaps even a set of white wall tires? I don't know, maybe too much white.

Either way, it looks really good!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 PM

I agree about the baby moons. I was thinking about a set of replica '49 hubcaps, I'll have to do some more investigations. The visor? I'll have to look into that also, but you may be right. I think the white walls may be toooooo much. I'll have to photoshop it to see how it looks. Hopefully, my new 2008 Colbalt steering wheel will be here next week. I have too many projects going simultaneously, need to pace myself (or at least my money).

Keep the ideals coming. The new grill has torn up. It will be ready to reinstall by next weekend. I'll post more pics later.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Howdy Uncle Dannie, We are can hardly wait to see the new grill

Quick Reply: Adding '49 emblems to HHR