Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Body shop guys: advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Body shop guys: advice please

My 3 bar grille mod has run into some issues, and I'm getting impatient. I've only been at this for two months.

I need a recommendation for what product to use to fill the gaps. I've done a bit of research already. I'd like to avoid Duramix because I don't want to spend $80 on the gun just to use it once. I don't think I need to explain why Bondo is not an option.

Other suggestions I've seen are J-B Weld 8237 Kwik Plastic and Fusor 142 + 602ez adhesion promoter (which also requires a gun, but I've seen a caulk gun adapter).

I'm looking for something with minimal shrinkage, that's sandable, feathers well, and with a 15-30 minute set time.

What say you?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM

i fiberglassed the cutouts to support bondo.
to summers on w/o bondo issues
Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm doing more than just filling the bar gaps... I'm transplanting bit to make top and bottom edges for the bowtie, and I also need to bond some bar slices to the back as mounting points.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Mar-glass. I did a "no bar" grill and I think I might have pics in my gallery of the work
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
Mar-glass. I did a "no bar" grill and I think I might have pics in my gallery of the work
3M Short Strand Reinforced Filler?

I 'm kinda afraid any fiberglass isn't suited for all the fill/join tasks I have. Your mesh looks like gutter guard, how did you attach it?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 AM

Valvoline Pliogrip Finishing Cream (For plastic repair), Dries in 5 minutes at 140 degrees so if possible sit it out in the sun. sands well just would recommend priming over it though when your done. Sands well with 180 grit paper.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM

5 Minute Expoxy. Get it at Lowes or HomeDepo for around $6. Doesn't shrink or crack, sands and paints extremely well. It's the "body shop" seceret........

......for the top or bottom of your emblem, you can use masking tape to "create" the top and bottom, mix the epoxy and apply. The tape will form the top and bottom with the epoxy. Don't worry about using to much as it is completely sandable. When it's all dry, no need to remove the tape, just sand it out.....

I've used 5 minute expoy for years on tons of stuff from plastic to metal to wood to other various structures and materials. It's really better in most cases than JB Weld and is a ton easier to work with.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos
3M Short Strand Reinforced Filler?

I 'm kinda afraid any fiberglass isn't suited for all the fill/join tasks I have. Your mesh looks like gutter guard, how did you attach it?
The Mar glass is a bit stronger than just fiberglass filler. In my past experiences, it works much better than bondo does when bonding to plastic. I really score the crap out of the mating surface before applying it though.

I didn't use gutter guard. I actually bought it from a vendor who specializes in many different types of replacement mesh for automotive applications
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM

I went down to a body shop supplier this morning. In the Fusor catalog they had, the 142 has a work time of about 90 seconds, but there's a similar 153 product with a 3-5 minute work time. But man is that stuff expensive

So I went searching around on the net again, and found this stuff called Plast-Aid that's almost too good to be true (watch the video to be amazed). It will form chemical and mechanical bonds with ABS, PVC, and other plastics. Anyone ever used this stuff?

My roommate's friend runs a body shop, and I was going to have him paint all my parts, but he thinks this is a waste of time... should I find another shop?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dracos
I went down to a body shop supplier this morning. In the Fusor catalog they had, the 142 has a work time of about 90 seconds, but there's a similar 153 product with a 3-5 minute work time. But man is that stuff expensive

So I went searching around on the net again, and found this stuff called Plast-Aid that's almost too good to be true (watch the video to be amazed). It will form chemical and mechanical bonds with ABS, PVC, and other plastics. Anyone ever used this stuff?

My roommate's friend runs a body shop, and I was going to have him paint all my parts, but he thinks this is a waste of time... should I find another shop?
That Plast-Aid look s like it could be handy for a lot of different repairs.

Quick Reply: Body shop guys: advice please