Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

First HHR, first post, first mod! (WIP)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Welcome to the site.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Welcome from Elsie, Michigan

Hi, I have a wireless backup camera that I haven't installed yet. The directions are written in poor English. I hope to get it installed by winter though. I am sure with the much smaller screen the colors will be OK.

Boydie

[QUOTE=Theoriginalfathead;717828]Hello to everyone in HHR-land! I just purchased my first HHR about 2 weeks ago and have already started to customize it a little bit. I love the car (Dark silver metallic 2007 LS) and the ability to change little things to really make it mine.

My first mod of my HHR was to change the lift gate trim piece. I wanted it black to match the other black parts of the car (back of mirrors, antenna, wipers, etc). So, I removed the emblem from the back and plasti dipped the piece. I only did the plasti dip to see if I would like it black or not. Turns out, I do! I have another emblem on the way that I got for stupid cheap on eBay. Now that I've seen it black, I will commit all of the way to painting it black, along with the emblem.

While doing so, I had purchased a back up camera license plate frame from Amazon, and started running the wires for it while the rear door was apart. I'm not a huge fan of the little bit of wire that you can see (or cut) but I figure it's subtle enough that most won't pay much attention. I'm even less of a fan of the idea of drilling into my car, haha. I have a Pioneer AVH X-3500BHS to install as well, that I will be running the camera wires to, but I'm still waiting on a few components. Also, I purchased a black upper and lower billet grill on Amazon that will be here this week. I will post pictures of the small mods as I go along. Until then, this is my brand new baby![QUOTE]
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Welcome

I see you have that dreaded liftgate ding from someone that didn't know how to close it correctly.
There's several little dings and dents all over this thing. Nothing terrible or highly noticeable. A buddy of mine does paintless dent removal. So I may hit him up in the future once I stop spending money on toys for the new car. Haha
Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Boydie;717883]Hi, I have a wireless backup camera that I haven't installed yet. The directions are written in poor English. I hope to get it installed by winter though. I am sure with the much smaller screen the colors will be OK.

Boydie

I'm sure it will as well. I know from enough photoshop experience, that shrinking something will make it look better in most circumstances. What type of back up camera did you purchase?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

If I remember correctly, I wired my camera through an unused lower licence plate mounting hole on the tailgate behind the licence plate - it hid the wires perfectly.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
If I remember correctly, I wired my camera through an unused lower licence plate mounting hole on the tailgate behind the licence plate - it hid the wires perfectly.
I looked for an open license plate hole, but mine for some reason only has two holes for license plate screws. I thought it was kind of odd. There were the two rubber nipples sticking out to keep my license plate from being pressed against the paint, but the wire ends were too large to fit through those holes.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM

So, I made these small modifications this weekend. Black billet grill (upper and lower), installed the rear view camera, installed a Pioneer AVH X3500BHS, and a Bluetooth microphone, along with a temporary exhaust tip (just to see if I like it until I get the real thing). Here's a few pictures. I have an iPhone 5, so I had to pay the ridiculous cost for the iPhone 5 connecting assembly. I think I did an ok job at hiding it mostly, but as you can see in the pictures, I had it in one spot and then decided to move it. I'll pick up another plastic piece from the junk yard and make it right the first time. haha. Let me know what you think!

Name:  IMG_2363.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2382.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2395.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2374.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  51.9 KB