Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Has anyone taken out the reflectors in the bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 PM

Has anyone taken out the reflectors in the bumper?

I did a search and couldnt find anything on how to get those reflectors out in the bumper....HHR is black and i am wanting to put some tint on them and the running lights to black all of that out, if anyone has any info or has taken those out before any help would be much appreciated...TIA
Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

The reflectors are there because most states have laws requiring visible reflectors in the rear.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM

I tried to take them out also. looks like you have to remove the whole bumper. I just taped off around them and used the vht lens tint. I only used one coat and it wants to run. May not want to cover them up due to the fact that with it all black it may get hit sitting somewhere. Or you could get some black vinyl and cover them. Check with the laws on reflectors before you get to far into it.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Did my markers/reflectors with Nightshades about 6 months ago. Just taped them carefully and sprayed in place. No prep other than cleaning. Did 3 very light coats. You can still easily see the lights and reflections after dark and it's held up very well. It's one of those mods that nobody notices but it looks great! I've heard not to do more than 3 coats.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Use 600 grit sandpaper first or the niteshades will flake off eventually...

It says on the can not to do more than 3 coats, but it depends on how heavy the coats are. I'd also recommend a couple coats of clear.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
Use 600 grit sandpaper first or the niteshades will flake off eventually...
It says on the can not to do more than 3 coats, but it depends on how heavy the coats are. I'd also recommend a couple coats of clear.
Good advice. I'll redo mine if they ever flake from the severe California weather.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:36 PM

I don't think they'll flake in California weather.......something more like melting from the heat of a wild fire
Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
Did my markers/reflectors with Nightshades about 6 months ago. Just taped them carefully and sprayed in place. No prep other than cleaning. Did 3 very light coats. You can still easily see the lights and reflections after dark and it's held up very well. It's one of those mods that nobody notices but it looks great! I've heard not to do more than 3 coats.
thanks, i was gonna go ahead and just tape them off but decided to check on here first......thanks for the input, you have any pics of yours?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlkSS
you have any pics of yours?
I don't have any close-ups right now but I'll shoot a couple this weekend and post them here if someone else hasn't already done it by then.
I do have some in my gallery that show the results from a distance- i.e. you don't see the markers or reflectors. They are HERE for front and HERE for the back (my car is at far right).
Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
I don't have any close-ups right now but I'll shoot a couple this weekend and post them here if someone else hasn't already done it by then.
I do have some in my gallery that show the results from a distance- i.e. you don't see the markers or reflectors. They are HERE for front and HERE for the back (my car is at far right).
thanks, looks good ...what does it look like when the sides are lit up?

Quick Reply: Has anyone taken out the reflectors in the bumper?