Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 AM

Question Heated Mirrors

Does anybody know where I can find a heater element to be place on the back of each mirror? I can't find anything anywhere. I know this is not an option, but during winter months in NJ, you need them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 AM

i would love this option. Even my wife's crappy Aveo has heated mirrors, yet not an option on the HHR...

i miss it so much.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM

As I speak (actually type) I have a set of mirror heating elements that stick to the back of the mirror. I bought an extra set of right and left hand mirror glass units from the dealer (about $20 each I think). Unfortunately, they come glued to the plastic backing. I heated them to about 200 degress and this allowed the glue to soften and I could separate the backing from the mirror carefully. That's where it's at now.

In the fall, I plan to complete the project (no time now) and will post a how-to. Essentially, the remaining part is to stick the heating elements to the back of the mirror (they are self-adhesive), reattach the plastic backing plate (probably with 3m double-sided VHB tape), and then wire the heating elements to the electrical system. I'll probably do what GM did in my Suburban, the mirror heaters come on with the rear defogger.

The heating elements are from Burco:
http://www.burcoinc.com/products/oth...di_heat_grids/

I think I paid about $40 each for the two elements.

Steve
Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
As I speak (actually type) I have a set of mirror heating elements that stick to the back of the mirror. I bought an extra set of right and left hand mirror glass units from the dealer (about $20 each I think). Unfortunately, they come glued to the plastic backing. I heated them to about 200 degress and this allowed the glue to soften and I could separate the backing from the mirror carefully. That's where it's at now.

In the fall, I plan to complete the project (no time now) and will post a how-to. Essentially, the remaining part is to stick the heating elements to the back of the mirror (they are self-adhesive), reattach the plastic backing plate (probably with 3m double-sided VHB tape), and then wire the heating elements to the electrical system. I'll probably do what GM did in my Suburban, the mirror heaters come on with the rear defogger.

The heating elements are from Burco:
http://www.burcoinc.com/products/oth...di_heat_grids/

I think I paid about $40 each for the two elements.

Steve
That's what I'm talking about, What did you put when ordering from them for the type of vehicle? They don't list the HHR???
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM

I also plan on wiring this to the Rear Defroster Switch!! No extra switches needed!!! What does everybody think? Good Idea or Bad Idea?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by NxlKing2304
I also plan on wiring this to the Rear Defroster Switch!! No extra switches needed!!! What does everybody think? Good Idea or Bad Idea?
First: What effect will this have on the Rear Defog Fuse(40 Amp) #2 and the Rear Defog Relay #14, both under the hood? What rating do those relay contacts have? What is the current draw of whatever heaters you are going to use. Is COLD start up current higher than when already hot?

Second: How to get the power wires through the rubber seal/electrical connector on the doors and then out to the mirror assemblies? Where the rubber boot leaves the vehicle body to the door there is an integral electrical connector located there. Check it out by prying the boot at the vehicle. AND when you do, put it back right, this is where some people have reported water intrusion into the vehicle. Have no idea about the path from inside the door to the mirror assembly.

I have no ready answers for the above AND I can't seem to get that boot back together right yet - I'll work on it before the rain come. I will, I will!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Lol, I'm not too worried about the boot, I haven't taken it off yet, but I know i will definately look into this before I try it! As far as the Fuses, I was going to put an inline fuse before attaching the wires, just to be sure. i'm not too concerned about it though, i rarely use the defroster as it is unless it snows. But what will be nice is when i remote start the defroster automatically comes on, thus clearing the mirrors and the rear window.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 PM

I've now got the boot back on as well. You will be concerned about the "boot" when you see how little room there is to add anything past it. Very neat construction and ease of assembly, but no provision for the future.

I don't think you understood about the switch, fuse, relay and current concerns I had. The defroster switch can handle no current, it is a very simple control switch that tells the BCM to energize the DEFOG Relay. The associated fuse feeds the relay contacts and the output of the relay feeds the defogger.

My source is the 2009 FSM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by NxlKing2304
That's what I'm talking about, What did you put when ordering from them for the type of vehicle? They don't list the HHR???
I bought one of the generic sizes that they had available. I think there were only a few sizes. The ones I bought were 5" x 7" or something like that.

Steve
Old 05-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Success anyone?

Has anyone COMPLETED a heated mirror conversion for the stock mirrors in an HHR?

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors