Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Hit a road block while installing

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Hit a road block while installing

Hey everyone got some nice foglights off ebay look really nice installed but i have no clue how to run the wires. It has one red and black wire and 3 wires that plug in to the switch. i was thinking of putting the red wire in the positive head light and find a good ground for the black. my 2nd problem is getting the 3 switch wires through the fire wall.
Name:  IMAG0047.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  16.9 KB
i found this thing by the drivers foot area could this be a good place to go through
Name:  IMAG0037.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  10.6 KB

its a nice kit and was pretty cheap. thanks for any help. really dont want to turn my car in to a 55 mph fire ball :)
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 AM

I cant tell what that is but if that is a yellow electrical conector dont touch it!!!!!

Air bag!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM

I hooked mine up to the low beams through a relay. Simple to do.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 PM

I tagged the positive wire to the + terminal under the hood where your supposed to jump cars with, then ran it through the firewall to the switch then back out to the fog lamps and grounded the lamps themselves with a separate wire. The switch is an iluminated rocker switch. I havent wired the light in it yet.

Mine are K-Marts best $19.99 round and fiercely bright fog lamps. They are a lot smaller than stock HHR fog lights so I drilled under holes the ‘bores tusks’ on the bumper to mount them. There isn’t anything strong enough to mount them to on the rubber bumper so a length of angle iron needed to be bolted on so they did not wiggle all the time.

They are more stable now but still not exactly what I want. I’ll come up with something stiffer next summer when its warm enough to play longer.

The only real problem I can see with the way I have them wired is I might forget to turn them off sometime and get a dead battery out of the deal.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I tagged the positive wire to the + terminal under the hood where your supposed to jump cars with, then ran it through the firewall to the switch then back out to the fog lamps and grounded the lamps themselves with a separate wire. The switch is an iluminated rocker switch. I havent wired the light in it yet.

Mine are K-Marts best $19.99 round and fiercely bright fog lamps. They are a lot smaller than stock HHR fog lights so I drilled under holes the ‘bores tusks’ on the bumper to mount them. There isn’t anything strong enough to mount them to on the rubber bumper so a length of angle iron needed to be bolted on so they did not wiggle all the time.

They are more stable now but still not exactly what I want. I’ll come up with something stiffer next summer when its warm enough to play longer.

The only real problem I can see with the way I have them wired is I might forget to turn them off sometime and get a dead battery out of the deal.
I strongly suggest you run a fuse inline and it wouldn't hurt to put them through a relay either
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM

I do have an inline fuse in the hot wire out under the hood near where I tagged in my hot lead.

I gave real consideration to using a relay and tagging my hot lead into the low beams but didn’t want to smeg up the computers in anyway.

I’m using 16 gauge wire {about three times heaver wire than came in the kit} so I’m pretty sure it can handle the amp load for the lights. I have a 10 amp fuse in the cute little blade fuse holder that came with the light kit, and they have not blown the fuse,… yet.

I may wire in a relay and tag it to the low beams when its warm enough to play outside more. That way when the headlights go out the fog lights will too and I will have the option to turn them off when the daytime driving lights are on but its not dark out enough to really need the fog lights.

I hardly ever turn them on anyway, its just nice to have them if I ever really do need them.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM

I really like this kit because it came all ready wired with a in line fuse, relay, illuminated switch, and connectors for the lights. plus the lights and factory fog lights. All I really need is a way to get the 3 switch wires through the fire wall? With a in line fuse is it safe to directly. attach it to the positive jumping post?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 hhr
I really like this kit because it came all ready wired with a in line fuse, relay, illuminated switch, and connectors for the lights. plus the lights and factory fog lights. All I really need is a way to get the 3 switch wires through the fire wall? With a in line fuse is it safe to directly. attach it to the positive jumping post?
That's how I have mine wired. Like I said before, the only real problem would be if you happen to leave them on for a long time and kill your battery.

My fog light kit came with wire too but it was very light and I have this 40 foot roll {probably closer to 30 feet left now} of this heavy stuff so,…
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I do have an inline fuse in the hot wire out under the hood near where I tagged in my hot lead.

I gave real consideration to using a relay and tagging my hot lead into the low beams but didn’t want to smeg up the computers in anyway.

I’m using 16 gauge wire {about three times heaver wire than came in the kit} so I’m pretty sure it can handle the amp load for the lights. I have a 10 amp fuse in the cute little blade fuse holder that came with the light kit, and they have not blown the fuse,… yet.

I may wire in a relay and tag it to the low beams when its warm enough to play outside more. That way when the headlights go out the fog lights will too and I will have the option to turn them off when the daytime driving lights are on but its not dark out enough to really need the fog lights.

I hardly ever turn them on anyway, its just nice to have them if I ever really do need them.
Shouldnt hurt computer, just make sure to attach to the 87 terminal output on the low beam relay. The only load you will add to the low beam circuit is about 58 ohms of the fogs relay coils. (I think its 58 ohms, been awhile since I built a relay)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I still need some help on getting through the fire wall though.