Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Question about running boards to resolve "sandblasting"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Question about running boards to resolve "sandblasting"

My 09 at 30k miles has a major sandblasting problem. It's down to bare metal in the doorframe above the rockers. My friendly dealer has agreed to comp me some running boards. They got black running boards for my white car. I told them I wasn't sure if I wanted black ones and asked to postpone the install for me to consider it.

They said the black running boards are black to the core so the "sandblasting effect" over time wouldn't make them look crummy. They are willing to return them and order up white ones if I want.

My question is this...

Does anyone know what the interior color of the white running boards are? If they are a light color then I would prefer to go that way.

Do you think black running boards on a white car would look silly? This is a panel version I use for business.

Much Appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 AM

I am unsure as to whether you are referring to the actual running board being black, or having the black plastic "step", for lack of better words, on the top of it.

If you'll notice in this picture, courtesy of SindyDix, her "running board" is white, but it still has the black plastic "step". Is this what you're saying you do not like? I don't think the black part can be had in other colors. Maybe you could paint it or something. IDK
Name:  Sindy.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  43.2 KB
Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 AM

No, I think he wants to know what color the material the running board is made out of is, underneath the white paint - which will soon come off after it's been sandblasted.

There's probably a gray primer underneath, but what color the actual plastic material is - who knows?

I'm going to have to deal with this issue sooner or later,since the roads here get covered with this crushed volcanic rock in the winter to help with traction in the snow. Stuff works real good, but it's tough on the paint.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
I am unsure as to whether you are referring to the actual running board being black, or having the black plastic "step"...
The running boards they unboxed were gloss black with a black insert. I was expecting a white board with a black insert.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM

I agree with you then, I think white running boards would much better.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 AM

White running boards + HHR splashguards = no sandblasting..
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Check the TSB on what dealers can help with, but we all know that running boards and mud flaps take care of the issue. The issue goes all the way back to the first year of the HHR.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM

The running boards are black underneath. I'm assuming the dealer would have to paint them, but they ARE BLACK underneath the paint. I know this, because mine have been sandblasted before I put the splash guards on....so at the front the paint is missing it spots. I don't think I've touched it all up...I could take a picture if you want.

But since I've added splash guards as well, there is no more sandblasting.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM

does anyone actually hook up lakes pipes?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Thumbs up rock chips on the side

Originally Posted by junker
My 09 at 30k miles has a major sandblasting problem. It's down to bare metal in the doorframe above the rockers. My friendly dealer has agreed to comp me some running boards. They got black running boards for my white car. I told them I wasn't sure if I wanted black ones and asked to postpone the install for me to consider it.

They said the black running boards are black to the core so the "sandblasting effect" over time wouldn't make them look crummy. They are willing to return them and order up white ones if I want.

My question is this...

Does anyone know what the interior color of the white running boards are? If they are a light color then I would prefer to go that way.

Do you think black running boards on a white car would look silly? This is a panel version I use for business.

Much Appreciated.
I taped the area off right under the door all the way to front to back and Hercule lined the whole front, side and back. Don't have to worry about rock chips ,paint peel, and repainting. Did for under $90 dollars. I have silver paint and I used the flat black. The running boards are so much better now because even with the mud flaps the rocks would get the boards. Now no problem. If you plan on keeping yours awhile it is a good investment. After the liner dries you can use spray paint in the flat color of your car. I left mine black gives the side a detailed look.

Quick Reply: Question about running boards to resolve "sandblasting"