Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Removing Roof Racks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Removing Roof Racks

Well I'm trying to remove some of the chrome and the first thing that I think needs to go are the factory chrome roof racks. It looks easy enough to get them off, but I think I'm going to be left with a small nut exposed. I wasn't sure if anyone had done this and if so, what can I use to plug the hole? I don't want to screw around and have water spots in my liner. Any help would be great!

BTW, if everything goes well and I can get them off and holes plugged, I'll be selling my chrome roof racks if anyone is interested in them.

Last edited by chefhhr; 04-09-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 AM

57 views and no responses tells me that no everyone must do the opposite of what I'm trying to do...lol. I did talk to a guy last night at O'Reilys and he told me that I would have problems with it leaking no matter what I did. It looks so much better without them. Maybe I'll try to find someone to trade me a set of black ones for my chrome ones.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Deceased

That's your best option, or just find a set of black ones on e-bay, I just held off because I didn't want to be the first one saying "its going to leak, its really going to leak, come up with a Plan B".

There are times when I just can't bring myself to be the first guy to say, nope, that's not gonna work man.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
That's your best option, or just find a set of black ones on e-bay, I just held off because I didn't want to be the first one saying "its going to leak, its really going to leak, come up with a Plan B".

There are times when I just can't bring myself to be the first guy to say, nope, that's not gonna work man.

For some reason your reponse brought a smile and chuckle. I'll post an ad and see what happens. The chrome is just becoming to much for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Deceased

Thanks for not turning me into the "guy who shot Santa".
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM

As it happens I like my shiny roof racks.

You might get a can that truck bed liner and spray your chrome roof racks. The chances of you damaging them is pretty slim, since you obviously do not use them now, you probably won't use them once you coat them either.

I have a Sears Es cargo roof top carrier that works just right on my HHR. It fits nicely between the roof racks and I can lash it down very securely.

I have thought of buying a pair of the cross bars so the es cargo is not directly on the paint. But, the car top carrier works fine without them so its tough to justify the expense.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM

Not sure what it looks like underneath but can always find some button head screws the same thread size and use some fiber/rubber washers underneath to seal the holes..back it up with a shot of rtv under washers. use Stainless steel and paint black prior to install..or find some black ones...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Well I've got a member here that is willing to trade me a set of black ones for my chrome, but I'd really like to delete them all together but of course I don't want to run into any issues with leaking.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Since I installed mine, I can tell you there are a total of 8 zerk nuts that stick up if you pull them off (pretty sure it was 2 at each end). The only way do remove cleanly would be to have the holes filled or welded then painted.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Since I installed mine, I can tell you there are a total of 8 zerk nuts that stick up if you pull them off (pretty sure it was 2 at each end). The only way do remove cleanly would be to have the holes filled or welded then painted.
Yep that's it. I pulled one off and thought about different solutions but each one lead me to think that I may have problems with leaking. I think I'll just have to deal with it for now...maybe I'll swap to a black one...we'll see once I put my wheels on Friday!

Quick Reply: Removing Roof Racks