Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Side Rails / Roof Mounted

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:17 AM

Side Rails / Roof Mounted

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has attempted to install what Chevy is calling Side Rails / Roof Mounted. I recently purchased a new 2006 HHR and managed to locate one that was the correct color and had all the options we wanted with the exception of the running boards and the roof rails. (Sorry, "side rails" - not sure why they're called that). I have already installed the running boards and have received all the OEM parts for the roof side rails. This includes the chrome rails themselves, the rail end covers, 8 bolts and 8 rivet nuts. The rivet nuts are a hex type that require 8 small hex holes in the roof. I guess a hex hole is required so that once the rivet nuts are compressed in the hole, they will not spin when tightening the bolts into them. By the way, because these parts did not come as a kit, there are no directions, so I'm making a few assumptions. I originally wanted to avoid dropping the headliner to gain access to the inside of the roof, yet I now don't know how I'm going to avoid that if I'm going to use a hex hole punch.
I haven't even located a hex hole punch yet. I'm thinking of trying to find a different kind of sheet metal anchor/insert that would be adequate. I admit, I want to install these rails mostly for appearance, but I want them to be completely usable in case I or someone else decides to use them later. Not to mention, I don't want water leaking through the holes. I know there are better roof rack options out there (Yakima, Thule, etc), but that isn't what I want. Any input, help, smart alec remarks would be appreciated and yes I understand taking it in to a dealer to have this done may be an option. If you're one of those "why pay someone else for something you can do yourself" type of people, you understand. Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 08:44 AM

They are called "side rails" because that's what they are. They come in the bright and satin chrome finishes. Now, if you actually want to carry something using the rails, you need the crosspieces. Those will set you back at least another 200 bucks for genuine GM. I ordered the side rails thinking I could use them as a luggage rack. Wrong! Nothing but overpriced trim without the crossrails. Another expensive option on an otherwise fine vehicle. I don't know what they were thinking. $$$$$$$$$$

BTW - The threaded mounts for the roof are actually "Nut Zerts". Require a special tool set-up to install and are quite unforgiving if you screw up. Have a pro install them.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Deceased

I did an install and i looked on here in a search for the post and couldnt find it. maybe a search wizard here can find it.

i have pics but i had to go down to a dealer and get the measurements from the back and sides to the edge of the rail.

if someone can find the post it has the drill size i used and you need to use silicone or shoe good to help put them down.

you want the hole just big enough so the nut rivets are as snug as possible.

i have to go measure the poker run legs and will be back later and will post pics of the roof.

the measurements arent hard and it was simple to do.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 AM

This is how all the manufacturers are going now...providing either as standard or as an option the siderails and then another option for the cross rails. The side rails are pretty much for decoration only! They will work if you want to haul home some panelling or a piece of 4x8 lumber from the Home Depot..but that is about it. Vibe, Honda CRV, Jeep Liberty, etc., etc., all have the side rails but no cross rails unless you dish out another few hundred. I got them on my HHR, knowing full well it was a decor option..I like the looks. If I were about to install my own I would at least price what the dealer wants to do it..I love the do it yourself approach..but when it comes to something which might leak, I get nervous :).
Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 PM

My roof rack is mounted with nut surts. Drilled from the out side and the nut surts installed and then the rack ends are screwed down. The headliner does not need to be removed, as far as I can tell.