Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 AM

Wiring Question

I have recently installed LED bulbs into my headlight housing, and they look good, but we all know that the light just doesn't, go the distance, so to say. I have just received the projectors I ordered in case I wasn't happy with the light output of the LEDs. I am, but I also am not one to keep stuff the same when it could be better (hopefully), especially if it pertains to safety. I want to start on my prototypes using my factory headlights, before cutting up my DEPOs. My bulbs are plug and play with the factory light harness, but I do have a quesiton about the projectors. They have a small flap inside the housing that is up with the low beams, and falls out of the way when the high beams are on. The projector wires have a small connector on the end, but for our headlights, we have no where to plug in. Should I be able to splice into the high beam wire to power the projector and ground it somewhere nearby? I think I'll be doing some kind of LED Halo or maybe strips, but user Double0 has a few posts and a nice write up as far as that wiring. Thanks in advance guys.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring Question-gopr4019.jpg   Wiring Question-gopr4020.jpg   Wiring Question-gopr4021.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 PM

I don't know if your wanting to use your LEDs in the projector or wanting to use HIDs in the projector but...

HIDs will need a wiring harness and that wiring harness will have the high beam output for the projector shield.

If you want to use the LEDs in the projector you can try, but I'm not sure the light output will work, plus doesn't the LED have a low and bright setting already? But if I were you and wanted to try the LEDs I would buy an H13 extension cable and splice into the high beam wire so not to modify your stock wiring. You can then power the LEDs with the highbeam wire and shield during highbeam mode.

Also, HIDs in a projector are always on at usually 35w and the light that would emit upward is cutoff by that shield, during highbeam mode the HIDs are still emitting the same 35w light but now the shield is down allowing the full light output. So that's why HIDs are better for energy use because a halogen usually has a low power filament and a higher power filament, and they are usually both higher than 35w.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 AM

Gio, I do appreciate the reply. I should have posted in this thread, but I have nixed the idea of LED in a projector. I cut the back of the projector so that the led would fit, but I could not get the beam to focus correctly as it was made to use a wider reflector and no lens. At least for now, it will be the LEDs for me.