Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

2006 HHR Interior Modification

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM

2006 HHR Interior Modification

Hey guys / gals.

I been away for a bit but, I am back. This topic is covering some issues I have hated about the HHR's interior.

First one is fixing the Cup Holders, that don't hold cups.

Here is a picture of the Solution for less then $2.00. I may change this in the future to make it nicer looking but, for now. It works fantastic.

I used some cheap Cup Holders from walmart and just cut them to fit inside the factory cup holders. They are secured right now with Super Glue. Just in case I decide to make something nicer in the future.

The Big project is next. Below is a Image showing the problem areas for me in my HHR. Between shifting into 5th gear and smashing my hand on my phone charger and the Window Buttons being in such an odd place. Something had to be done. With me, Something will be!!!

Here is the project in motion. If you have Questions about what I did in the photos. Please just ask and I will respond. Thanks!

Problem areas...

Fixing the issue...

CONCEPT ART of the Goal I am Trying to Reach!...

This is what I have so Far. I will update this when I get more done.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM

A lot of work to relocate some switches. Glad my 2011 have door controls.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

the plugs are in the same area..thought that was an issue also
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM

You do know about the rear power outlet, right?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 AM

The plugs are lower now. Knuckles are no where near the charger now when shifting.
The Vent Controls would be where the factory outlet was at.
A few inches makes a whole world of difference. LOL

I seen the 2011 and HHR SS have the door controls. First thought was to just pick up the interior door panels and relocate the wire to the switches there. Once I started toying with the idea. I liked the fact everything is a simple push away. No leaning forward for radio or Vent Controls now. I have my seat far back and Leaned back. I have long legs so this makes everything much more comfortable.

I also wanted more then just a factory swap so away this project went.

Yeah I know about the rear outlet but, I don't sit in the rear. Nor do I want wires running from the rear to the front for something that should be up front. lol
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 AM

I've never had an issue with the cup holders not holding cups.

For the power outlet, I use a flush USB plug and no issue with my hand hitting it when shifting into 5th. But yes, before I picked that up, it was painful at times......
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Very nice mod!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Nice job keep up the mods
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM

What about the little panel that was above the radio? The one with the instrment panel brightness control, pass. air bag status indicator, fog lamp button (or blanking plate)?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Airbag light I did not like. The Brightness control never gets adjusted as I keep it on Full Brightness always and the Blank plate, gone. I may add two on / off switches before painting it up. One for Fog Lights and one for Neon under glow in the future but, no big issue to add it.

It may end up back in next to the gauges, lower right, next to the left vent. There is a nice little space there where the brightness control button would work perfectly. I may end up getting a new control button with dome light control. Then add a dome light in the center later. I am not to fond of the map light deal on my rear view. When someone uses the passenger one the mirror moves.

Solman98= What kind of cups do you have in yours.The only thing that ever stayed in mine without falling out was a Coffee cup with a Handle. Then there was the issue of no lid so it still spilled. Ever 32 oz or less, or Fast Food cup other then the Extra Large cups from Wendy's Tips to the side or if in the front holder falls backwards.

Even my Travel Mug flipped out of it a few times. Reminds me of Freightliner's Cup holders in the Columbia, and Century. They where only good for Cigarettes and change. LOL

I can yank the parking brake now and slide the car sideways, with no mess. Not to mention taking 45mph turns at 60 with no mess. It holds soda cans tight now too.

I tried the flush mounted USB. It did work great but I have other electronics that have larger Power adapters.

First time I found out it was at a bad location is when I busted a $22.00 Verizon Charger for my phone and bled all over the place. LMAO WHOOPS!

Everyone, Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: 2006 HHR Interior Modification