Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

2008 steering wheel radio buttons

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Have you tried gmpartsdirect.com...I just did and this is the part number they pulled up...it did not give any color options, just part number #15234337. I suppose you could do several things since they don't have a phone number there and here's a couple options.

Contact customer service via their website.
https://secure.gmpartsdirect.com/sec...tomer_service/

Order both sides and they should come in the same color and problem is resolved I would think.

Left Side Part #15234339

Please do not take these part #'s as engraved in stone, as I do not want to be held responsible for anyone ordering the incorrect parts, but this is what I got when I did a search for 2008 HHR and how it shows up in my shopping cart.

*15234337 (Part #8)
Steering Wheel Module
COVER
$13.84
$13.84
$9.50
$0.00
$10.95
$24.79

*15234339 (Part #9)
Steering Wheel Module
COVER
$13.63
$13.63
$9.37
$0.00
$3.00
$16.63

Subtotal:
$41.42

Hope this helps in some way.

It is quite obvious by the illustation on their site that the parts are available independent of one another, not requiring purchase of the entire steering wheel. So...whoever is telling you that you need to buy the whole thing is jerking you around in my opinion. See diagram below from their site.

Name:  CH06275.gif
Views: 246
Size:  5.5 KB

Last edited by courthousedeb; 12-09-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Adding part location # to part listing above.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Thanks, and yes I have been in contact with GM parts direct. It was there that I found I needed the VIN of a vehicle equipted with the parts I wanted. I have submitted the VIN from this discussion and am awaiting the return email. I do note that the harness shows as not available and cites the same part for all three years, something we think is wrong. I will stay with this until I get the buttons installed. The forum is a great resource but GM is a greater mystery.

Update: 12-11-07 GM parts direct sent parts numbers for a nickel cover (mine is not nickel) and switch which are not the same as CHDebs. Further they state that no harness is available. Next attempt is to look at the Cobalt steering wheel to see if the switches are indeed the same and try to look them up there. Who knows.

Last edited by jdmcomp; 12-11-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 PM

12/28 update. Parts arrived. Switch looks correct, wiring appears right and cover is silver colored or nickle as Chevy calls it. Prices are in line except for the cover which apparently selling for $105. I had them look up the 07 model and it was only 17.50, so I politely told them there has to be a mistake and please check with GM which they agreed to do. What can I say?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM

1-15 update

Dealer states that Chev verified the $105 price for the cover. I took the switch and harness and left them the cover. After 7 weeks no mud flaps, parts that should have been in stock. Given up on local dealer and ordered the parts from GM Direct.

I cannot believe that such stupidity can exist. They, that is the parts clerk and his boss, believe that the cover went from $17.50 (their quote) in 2007 to $105 in 2008. At least I have the JD Powers survey in hand. I have not looked at it but I do hope there is some reference to parts.

It is no wonder that everyone else is outselling US builders, the parts and service departments generally sux.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 PM

295-08 Update

GM Direct delivered the molded guards and the cover for the radio buttons. The cover is silver in color and does not match the cruise cover but as we speak the Victory Red paint is drying on it. The mud guards are installed except for the bottom screw which I will attend to when the ground around here gets dry.

I took off the air bag today (big thanks to Courthouse Deb) and looked at the existing wiring harness and the new one seems to be quite different. The part number is 10354210. It does have the lead outs for the cruise and radio but the wires are not arranged the same on the cruise. Should I rearrange them to match the existing color codes or give the a try as they are?

I am going to try to install the radio buttons as soon as the paint is dry enough which should be a couple of days. If everything works I will remove the cover from the cruise and paint it Victory Red and finish the job.

As a closing thought, I am really disappointed in the GM mentality about this. They could profit from this retrofit and gain customer satisfaction but it appears GM would rather just not converse with the customer at all.

Last edited by jdmcomp; 02-06-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM

Congrats! I'm still waiting on my cover......................

The wiring to the cruise needs to match the original harness. Not too big a deal, as you can pull each wire out the back of the plug by depressing the pin (tiny square hole on the top) & pulling out.

You may need to swap the outermost wires on the radio button side, too, if it acts funny.

Enjoy!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM

Thanks WF, the radio buttons work fine once the outer wires were reversed. However, the cruise does not work nor does the horn. I repinned the cruise to match the original plug and the light works on the engage switch, just does not engage.

The wiring ends for the horn wire hookup are completely different from the original. The original had a black w/White trace and brown connecting to the horn button wires with a polarized plug. The new has two black wires paired on a female spade lug. Additionally there is another wire running to the radio side which does not match up with anything I can find. Hooking up the brown/black to the twin black did not make the horn work.

I am beginning to think my dealer has sold me the wrong harness since the part number does not match up with any I have seen quoted on this board. I may be better off just getting a new harness from GM Direct.

If anyone has any ideas about the curise and horn I would love the input.

One last warning. I am painting the covers red to match the body paint. The plastic will craze if sprayed with DuPlo paints. I usually primer with gray high build primer so the top coat will be the same shade all over and the high build has never caused a problem on plastic. However, this time I got smart and used an adhesion promoter. It crazed the plastic. Will need to let the paint dry, sand smooth, primer with high build, and paint. I would guess this will take the better part of two days to accomplish since the paint will dry very slowly. This project is not going well mostly due the the dealers inabililty to supply the proper parts by my analysis.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jdmcomp
I am beginning to think my dealer has sold me the wrong harness
Sounds like it's the wrong one.

The horn wire should look the same (two wire, small black platic socket).

The part number I ordered was 15234343 ($19.74 at my dealer).
Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 AM

Progress

Still solving the wiring issue, will order new harness from different source.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 02-08-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Removed extra img tags
Old 02-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Finally done with this project. It would have been near impossible without the help of some board members such as Courthouse Deb and Wingfeather.

The wiring harness was ordered from GM direct. Had to swap out the ends of the radio plug and all but the red wire on the cruise plug. Just matched it up to the original.

GM could have made this a breeze but they seem, in cohoots with their dealer parts departments, intent on making this as impossible as they can manage. I will sing GMs damnation whenever I get the chance. Never solved the color issue for the radio button cover but I like the paint job so I do not care too much.

End game, order the 2007 parts and be ready to change the pins on both plugs and paint the cover (now that I think of it, read leather covers would look good). Use the numbers from the board and if you dealer will not cooperate use GM parts direct.

Now on to the red rotors and body color grill projects. Thanks for all the support. Over and out.