Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

add accessory to fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Question add accessory to fuse box

I am trying to hardwire in my radar detector. I picked up a fuse tap. I am trying to use the 10a spare circuit in the fuse box-passenger side footwell. For some reason it seems like none of these "spare" circuits have juice. Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

No idea.....but some probably are left blank for future "enhancements". The hard wire would them be added.

The radar detector can't be drawing more than an amp or 2. I would tie into something from the ignition. That way it is on and off with the use of the car.

Did this on several cars previously. Seemed to worked without problems. But, who knows, with the way things are wired in these cars.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:30 PM

some are labeled "blank"-I would assume just empty holes. Some are labled "spare" with different amp ratings. I assumed these were wired in, but open for just such an occasion. I've done the same thing in the past with my detector, this just seemed neat and easy.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

When you're probing for 12 volts are you turning the key on? Also one part of the fuse holder is "hot" and one is not....fuse completes the loop, so to speak. In this situation wiring diagrams really help.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Fuse #21 in the center console is switched to hot when you turn on the key.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM

In the fuse box the ones that say spare ARE SPARE FUSES! not a spare cuit, WOW !!! Again please read your owners manual
Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 AM

The fuse for the sunroof was installed and I don't even have one, so I used the fuse tap on that for my stereo accessories.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 AM

oneton-go look in the box before you start spewing nonsense WOW!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Musicguy
oneton-go look in the box before you start spewing nonsense WOW!
calm down man, he's just trying to help. he is correct on this, they are labeled "Spare" to indicate you have some spare fuses in case you blow one. rather than keeping a box of spares in the car, you have some in a very easy and quick location to replace it. i'm not sure what's in the "Blank" ones, you're probably right that there is nothing behind it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM

he's not really trying to help-he's trying to suggest that I should be reading the manual before I ask a dumb question. Have you looked in the fuse box?-I know what it says in the manual-there is additional information in the fuse box itself. These are not "spare" fuses-there are no fuses there. These are marked "spare", they have different amp ratings and have terminals existing. There are indeed spare fuses in the box under the hood held in the upper cover. I did mistakenly say "blank" when it says "empty" in the other open spots-and the "empty" ones seem to have terminals too. Is he suggesting that the factory forgot to put the "extra/spare" fuses in their randomly placed about the fuse box spare fuse holding spots?

Quick Reply: add accessory to fuse box