Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Carbon Fiber Brake And Accelerator Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 PM

Carbon Fiber Brake And Accelerator Pads

I thought I'd start a thread about these inserts as they are not quite what you'd expect from the advertisement and maybe I can save someone some grief. I bought these through CARiD.... Pilot® - Carbon Fiber Inserts Anodized Pedal Set

While they look kinda cool, and come in a variety of colors to match your paint or interior scheme, the hardware they come with is totally USELESS. I made two trips to Lowes to get the right screws and one trip back home to get my drill bits I forgot...then after breaking two bits, I ended up buying a new set on my second trip to Lowes to get more screws.

I paid twenty-some dollars for the inserts, but it cost me another 10 bucks for the stainless steel screws I used to mount them.

The accelerator insert went on pretty easy. The plastic is thick enough to give the #8 sheet metal screws plenty to grip and it was just a matter of drilling the holes and screwing in the screws.

The brake insert was a bit more work.

I removed the rubber pad, then drilled holes through the steel support...and that support is not just a flat piece of metal...with the best planning/positioning I could muster, I still ended up cutting the heads off 3 screws and just epoxying them in place.Here's how it all turned out...I spent about three hours on the project, including the driving, plus I added a decal under the hood, and did a little clean up on the GPS installation on my Bike and swept out the shed.

Name:  SmallP6022572.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  205.6 KB

Name:  SmallP6022580.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  243.9 KB

Here's The Under Hood...

Name:  SmallP6022582.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  230.8 KB
Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Deceased

They look pretty cool, just make sure you have a good pedal feel with wet shoes.

A friend had something similar on his Mitsubishi Evo and he hopped in with wet sneakers and promptly thumped the back wall of his garage when his foot "shot off the brake pedal like stepping on a bar of soap".

Scratch one Carbon Fiber hood and front bumper, and que an embarrassing call to his Nationwide agent.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 AM

I like the underhood look
I've been wanting to paint mine white
around the filter like yours in red looks great.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jeff schaffer
I like the underhood look
I've been wanting to paint mine white
around the filter like yours in red looks great.
Thanks....The stainless steel stuff was a bit pricey, ($134.00) especially since it isn't cut very accurately, but it does set the colors off nicely.