Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

The definitive T-handle install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM

The definitive T-handle install

There's been a few threads on installing a t-handle on your manual tranny HHR. Here's the easiest and cheapest, I think.

Step 1: Get a T-handle of your choice and a shifter extension.

You don't want a universal T-handle, get the one that is one size...any size. My T-handle is an old one from my dad (3/8x16 threads) for free and the shifter extension I got custom made from a guy I found on ebay for $12. (Search ebay for "shifter extensions" and message the guy directly)

In my case I needed 12mm on the female end, 3/8x16 on the male end, and two inches long. You will want 12mm by whatever size T-handle you have.

The hard part is over...now the install.

Step 2: remove stock shifter knob. Grab the top of the shift boot. While twisting, pull down. With a little force and a lot of guts, it will pull off down. Grab the now bootless shifter handle and with a little more guts and force pull it straight up and off. Then hook your fingers under the chrome ring holding the shift boot and pull up. The back will popup, the front will then slide back, and the boot is pull up and off the naked shifter. (*This has been covered better in previous threads with photos*)
You're now left with a smooth shaft. (insert joke here)

Step 3: Thread that shaft!! It wasn't too bad to thread. You'll need a 12mm die from a tap and die set. This was the first time I'd ever threaded anything before. Go slow and try to keep it straight. I threaded mine down about 1.5 inches. (I stuffed in a towel to catch the shavings)

Step 3: Screw it all together! I threaded my T-handle on the shifter extension first (tighten with wrench) and spin the whole works onto the newly threaded shaft until tight and then loosened, re-adjusted, and re-tightened the handle. That's it! T-handled HHR!

I personally liked the height of the stock shifter, that's why I ordered a two inch extension. It raised the finished product about an inch higher than factory.

Then finally I "attached" the boot to the shifter extension with one little dot of silicone...and it's held so far!

There ya go! Free T-handle from dad (Thanks Dad!), $12 shifter extension, my buddy's tap and die set (Thanks Mike!), an afternoon in the garage, and that's about it...I'm only out $12!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM

looks great. Makes me wish I had a manual.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Very nice!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Old school.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

I don't mean to go off topic here, but what year/trim is the car shown in the pictures?

Last edited by hhrumadbruh; 10-05-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: TMI
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Dig the Hurst grip.. Looks good in your '08....
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Anyone here ever change the shift knob on thier Automatic? Lets see what ya did.....Curious as to what might be available, since the Auto has that wonderful button on it.......
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by afornal
Anyone here ever change the shift knob on thier Automatic? Lets see what ya did.....Curious as to what might be available, since the Auto has that wonderful button on it.......
Andrew- Yes several members have done this.. Look in the "How To" section,
A couple with very detailed info & pics..

Edit: To the OP, sorry for the sidetrack..
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 AM

can you please send me the info as to where you got your work done, THANK NYOU

Originally Posted by drblk
there's been a few threads on installing a t-handle on your manual tranny hhr. Here's the easiest and cheapest, i think.

step 1: Get a t-handle of your choice and a shifter extension.

you don't want a universal t-handle, get the one that is one size...any size. My t-handle is an old one from my dad (3/8x16 threads) for free and the shifter extension i got custom made from a guy i found on ebay for $12. (search ebay for "shifter extensions" and message the guy directly)

in my case i needed 12mm on the female end, 3/8x16 on the male end, and two inches long. You will want 12mm by whatever size t-handle you have.

The hard part is over...now the install.

step 2: Remove stock shifter knob. Grab the top of the shift boot. While twisting, pull down. With a little force and a lot of guts, it will pull off down. Grab the now bootless shifter handle and with a little more guts and force pull it straight up and off. Then hook your fingers under the chrome ring holding the shift boot and pull up. The back will popup, the front will then slide back, and the boot is pull up and off the naked shifter. (*this has been covered better in previous threads with photos*)
you're now left with a smooth shaft. (insert joke here)

step 3: Thread that shaft!! it wasn't too bad to thread. You'll need a 12mm die from a tap and die set. This was the first time i'd ever threaded anything before. Go slow and try to keep it straight. I threaded mine down about 1.5 inches. (i stuffed in a towel to catch the shavings)

step 3: Screw it all together! i threaded my t-handle on the shifter extension first (tighten with wrench) and spin the whole works onto the newly threaded shaft until tight and then loosened, re-adjusted, and re-tightened the handle. That's it! T-handled hhr!

i personally liked the height of the stock shifter, that's why i ordered a two inch extension. It raised the finished product about an inch higher than factory.

then finally i "attached" the boot to the shifter extension with one little dot of silicone...and it's held so far!

There ya go! Free t-handle from dad (thanks dad!), $12 shifter extension, my buddy's tap and die set (thanks mike!), an afternoon in the garage, and that's about it...i'm only out $12!
can you please forward theguy you got your part from as i also have a hurst shifter thank you gustavo
Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 AM

That was 8 years ago, Gustavo, OP probably won't respond.

to the forums!

Quick Reply: The definitive T-handle install