Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Interior light kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Interior light kits?

I have a 08 HHR SS. I've been wanting to add some interior lighting so I can see the floor. I was thinking of red. I've seens a few kits/light strips and stick under, but all it says is to connect the wires to the vehicles 12v wire. So question is where is this section of wires I would connect my interior lights to? Thanks. I appriciate any info on this.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

All depends on what you want to tie it in with.Ex: Interior light switch, it's own power source,etc. I would suggest a power source that is only hot with the key on. Best and easy way is probably to tap into the interior fuse box.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Interior lites

I have a 2009 HHR SS, red, just finished adding LED lights to all interior dome, map lights and also the license plate exterior lights as well. I would like to ad some led lights down in foot well interior on drivers and passenger side front, Can I tap into the light switch in the car doors so that they will only come on when the doors are open? Is there a better place to tap into a power source? thxs
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

I put led's under the dash on both sides, under the front seats and in the cargo area. I used a seperate round toggle switch to turn them on and off and tapped into a constant hot fuse in the fuse box using one of these "mini add a fuse" circuits:
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM

Location: Kentucky - where men are MEN (and sheep are nervous)
Angry

Originally Posted by bassbase
I put led's under the dash on both sides, under the front seats and in the cargo area. I used a seperate round toggle switch to turn them on and off and tapped into a constant hot fuse in the fuse box using one of these "mini add a fuse" circuits:
Has anyone done what bassbase has with the add-a-circuit, but WITHOUT using a switch ? I just want the LEDs to power on and off with the dome lights ( I don't care if they dim out with the domes - just turn off). I wired them to fuse #27 and they turned ON just fine with the dome, but then they remained lit and wouldn't go off after the 20-seconds with the rest of the stock interior lights. I flipped the add-a-circuit both ways with no joy as well. What am I missing here ?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Mine are wired to come on when the car is turned on and go out when the door is opened with the car off. If that is what you had in mind, I'll double check what fuse postion I used. IIRC, there was no fuse there before I used it.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Location: Kentucky - where men are MEN (and sheep are nervous)
Lightbulb Dumbed by my own Domes

Breadfan, what I'm after is that they work just like the stock dome lights do, with the exception of the dimming part (which I'm sure would need some type of additional hardware).... just come on when the door is opened, and turn off when the domes turn off after the door is closed (and/or off after the 10-minute delay if the doors remain open) - just as if they were an additional dome light.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM

I think the short answer would be to locate the line to the dome and splice. I'm not sure how difficult that would be. I considered doing it that way with white LEDs. I decided to do it differently so I could use the add-a-fuse. I used non-white LEDs so now the passenger can see the floor while I am driving and the dome is out, but the lights on my side do not interfere with night driving. I can always move the add-a-fuse unit to a different slot if I get tired of this and want to do it differently. You can look at the fuse functions in your manual and try tapping different positions. I didn't find one that ties directly to the dome functionality. (which doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one)
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Floor lights

I sucessfully wired floor lights to come on and off with the door switch, like RedWing is talking about. I forget now where I got the 'power', (fuse #27, I think) but to make 'em work, you must get access to the actual door switch and tap into the ground (of each light) at the black wire (at the switch). There's two wires, can't remember the other color...
I used the light housings off of an earlier GM car, a neat little unit with a #67 bulb.
This will make the floor lights come on, even if you open the rear doors; I can't figure out why, as you're not even activating the front door switch(s).
The 20 second dimming thing does not come into play with this setup, nor does it involve the dome lights.
Mo
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by RedWing
Has anyone done what bassbase has with the add-a-circuit, but WITHOUT using a switch ? I just want the LEDs to power on and off with the dome lights ( I don't care if they dim out with the domes - just turn off). I wired them to fuse #27 and they turned ON just fine with the dome, but then they remained lit and wouldn't go off after the 20-seconds with the rest of the stock interior lights. I flipped the add-a-circuit both ways with no joy as well. What am I missing here ?

Go WATCH.>

And Watch the INSTALL Link in it.

Quick Reply: Interior light kits?