Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Interior Woodgrain from CarID Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM

A couple of people asked me about how can you get into the stereo area now and I told them that the "waterfall" edge is just outside the area with the wood grain. If you replace the stock head unit with one using an adapter mount like I did you loose the trim for the stock head unit.

I have sent a template to CarID to see how much an extra piece will cost or maybe they'll offer it as an option?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM

Now did you guys do the full kit or the basic kit cause I don't know about some of those pieces in the full kit lol.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM

I bought the "full" kit and the only two pieces I did not use were a solid cover where the steering wheel controls for the stereo go and the surround for the head unit as I have an aftermarket Pioneer unit. The full kit has little pieces that cover little area like the sides of the air vents, glove box handle and even the edge of the sun roof cover finger slot. Everything fit amazingly well. There is a very detailed diagram that shows where everything goes with numbers of the pieces.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM

Yea i was looking at that. The only difference that i could see between the two was the full had pieces for the gauge as well as the back seat console area. That's why i wanted to ask before i decided to get.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 PM

If I remember correctly, CarID has diagrams of what is in each kit once you select what year/make/model car you have and then the materials. If you are getting wood grain I would suggest the real veneer as I had that in my last truck and it stood up to the CA sun very well and I remember some factory Fords that had pieces on the dash fade out from sun. Guess the factory uses fake stuff???!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Yep that is what I was looking at was the diagrams but im looking for a color that will go with the lighter part of the interior since its dark and light gray. I was thinking along the lines of Carbon Fiber, Ebony Zebra or Titanium Burl.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM

The piece that goes on the right side of the steering wheel is coming off. It is a curved piece. I think CarId wants $15 for the one piece. Has anyone found some type of glue that would work?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM

what about the glue they offer for sale when you pick the pattern you want. I noticed it today when I was looking at the total cost of a kit. I think its like 10 bucks.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 PM

The stuff they sell is a "promoter" and acts like the primer you use to assemble PVC pipes in irrigation lines. You can get away without it BUT you shouldn't. One of the things I was told by another HHR owner that had bought the same kit I have (different wood grain) was to use the adhesive promoter or there would be problems with curved pieces. So I bought the stuff and it really makes that 3M trim tape stick. If you do not want to buy another piece then I'd suggest pulling the loose piece off, carefully removing the 3M tape and putting a new piece in it's place. I know the autobody/paint supply places in the San Diego area carry it and also special adhesive seller have a tape that is used to actually assemble interior panels in emergency vehicles so there are no screws to get germs and infections in. I have some that is over 20 years old and it still holds so strong it will pull off the metal surface it is attached to!