Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Power Seats to Manual Seats Conversion: HHR Camp-mobile Project in the Making

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Power Seats to Manual Seats Conversion: HHR Camp-mobile Project in the Making

Hi Guys,

Big fan of the forum here, have been reading threads for a few years now gathering solutions from all of you more experienced folks (such as when my glue failed on my gasket by the wipers and rainwater filled my passenger side) -- your guys tutorials of course saved me the $400 bill at the dealer...

I thought I might approach the forum and see if anyone knows of a simple or easy way to convert the driver's side power seat in my 2006 LS to a manual system. The motor seems so feeble, I'm concerned this is going to burn out and leave my seat locked in a far forward position, making it impossible to drive.

Part of my reasoning for this is that I am working on a larger project, where I'm converting my HHR to a "camp-mo-bile" by building a wooden-framed-bed in there. I want to be able to sleep two, and constantly moving the driver's side seat forwards makes me weary of burning out the motor through overuse.

I am designing it so there is a center seam so if I'm solo, I can move the passenger seat forwards and leave the driver's side as-is and still sleep (going to have a flip down piece that will lay down on the passenger side only). I am 6'1" so too tall to sleep without an extension on the interior.

It clearly would be easier to slide both seats forwards and make a single hinged piece, but again, the motor...

Any ideas on converting the driver's side to manual? Is there a way to do this?

I'll post photos when I've completed this project. In addition to the bed, I'm building little window inlets that block out the sun and create privacy, and am going to "carpet" the bed construction so the interior is very inviting. I've got a few candle lanterns and cool ambient stuff to that I'll add later for decor. Maybe even some velcro screen insets on warm nights to keep the windows down and keep insects out..or a custom vestibule that mounts to the hatch when opened and stakes out to the ground, creating a "living room" area.

All this should make sleeping at the ski resort or in the mountains a bit more comfortable and with less hassle! Would love anyone's input on the seat conversion or any other ideas!

Thank you guys!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:54 PM

ps, would also love any suggestions by those who have upgraded their roof rack system? I saw a nice thule rack on an HHR the other day but wasn't sure what the total bill$ is after rack purchase and install....would love to buy a nice rocket box or something to load a kayak or skis up there. A little different use probably than what the HHR was designed for, but the tiny nature of this vehicle and its economic attributes make it desirable over a truck etc which gets far less MPG...
Old 12-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Technical Moderator

I moved this out of the "how-to" area because it is pretty clearly stated in the heading.

"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

No, I don't recall any conversions being done.

Also I don't recall any members having problems with burnt-out driver seat motors - yeah it's slow, but don't worry about it.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

If you can find a complete replacement, non powered drivers seat, it should be an easy swap out. The seats will bolt down in the same place on the cars seat bar.
This would be the easiest and cheaper route to try.

I did get curious and look up the cost of a non-power seat frame listed at GMpartsdirect. Just the frame is listed at $500.(if they're even avail. ) You would still have to swap over all your seat pads,trim pieces etc.

I will have to agree with whopper that I haven't heard about any burned out motors.
Maybe you could just get a spare, backup motor for your current seat. If you did ever have a problem, you would have a spare motor already to replace the bad one.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Well you, probably have a couple options, I say this because I know you can simply unbolt and unplug your present power seat and bolt in a manual seat as a complete unit for sure. I'm not sure if you can remove the seat from the power track and put it on a manual track, more then likely you can knowing GM. I would say call your local wreckers and see about buying a manual seat track assembly. Then you can see if your seat will bolt up to the manual track. They may also know if you can interchange the seats to the different tracks too.

To undo your seat, put it all the way forward and undo the 2 bolts (18mm I believe) at the back on the brace of the seat track running across the floor. Tilt the seat forward once they're undone and unplug any wiring. With the seat tilted forward still, lift up and pull it out through the drivers door. You should now be able to undo the track with the seat out or figure out if they interchange at the very least. It only takes 10 minutes to remove the seat, they are real easy to remove.

Hope that helps some.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Technical Moderator

I bet that you could just remove the arm rest from a passenger seat and bolt it in. IIRC, the tracks are part of the frame. Remove the 2 rear bolts and tip the seat forward, it all comes out. But then it has been over a year since I popped the seats out, I could be wrong.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Just a thought to add to the above comments.......

You MAY be able to trade your power seats for manuals to someone who wants to go that route. Depending on color, leather/fabric, etc.

As suggested, the entire seat and track would probably be necessary and you should pursue that idea to eliminate hassle.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Just to add some insight. The easiest way to convert the seat is to swap the seat with a used manual one. I just added power seats to my 07.

I had to add a connector to each seat for the power option.

With power seats the drivers side uses two connectors one for the heat and power and the other is for the seat belt switch.

The passenger side has three connectors one is for heating one is for the air bag pressure switch and the 3rd is for the seat belt switch.

By removing the drivers power seat and installing a Manual seat you just simply leave the one for the power/ heat unplugged and your good to go.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 AM
Technical Moderator

Are manual seats on LS?

Quick Reply: Power Seats to Manual Seats Conversion: HHR Camp-mobile Project in the Making