Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Shift knob replacement? Anyone done it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Like Charles said, "O" ring will do the trick. I had the same issue initially. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 AM

I made a eight ball knob, and just counter bored the hole to the diameter of the top of the shift boot. Look great IMO.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 AM

I had the same problem on my 06 cobalt LT 5 speed. If it dont unscrew i would be carful cause gm's warrent dont cover much if u kill it trust me, i found out when i ripped the whole stick out of the box wit the linkage. 950$ to fix! How is the 5 speed, i wanted it and my wife didnt, i miss my 5speed cobalt, The hhr has the same motor and trans. just courious if it is a lil more sportier. Good Luck.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM

It's nice, pretty peppy, I prefer it over the AUTO. So it definately seems sportier.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Skullz
It's nice, pretty peppy, I prefer it over the AUTO. So it definately seems sportier.
You must still be young ....
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
I made a eight ball knob, and just counter bored the hole to the diameter of the top of the shift boot. Look great IMO.
Shouldn't that really be a 4 ball? I mean, historically the number on a billiard ball shift knob is supposed to reflect the number of cylinders
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by trimotor
Shouldn't that really be a 4 ball? I mean, historically the number on a billiard ball shift knob is supposed to reflect the number of cylinders
Possibly, but I have used Cue-balls when I got a new stick shift ride...Kinda like the start of a new beginning or game... And on my previous S-10s' I used JB Weld to secure the knobs...Never let go..........

And my Flathead 45" Harley only has 2 cylinders, but 3 speeds forward & reverse.. I have a 13 ball on that shifter......

Now I wanted the auto tranny in my Panel, but I haven't modified that shifter just (yet)..
Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 AM

Well, I did have an old Ford that I had to put a cut tennis ball over the stock shift knob to keep from burning my hand when the car had been sitting in the sun all day. The ball stayed put and never even wiggled around on the shift knob. So unique modifications aren't foreign to me.

I think the last car I had with a pool ball for a shift knob was an old Audi Coupe GT that i had for about two weeks. It's former owner had put a 5 ball on in place of the stock shift knob. The car did have an inline 5 cylinder though, so that fits I suppose. Still it did look kind of funny seeing that bright orange pool ball amid the painfully tasteful gray Audi interior.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I did have an old Ford that I had to put a cut tennis ball over the stock shift knob to keep from burning my hand when the car had been sitting in the sun all day. The ball stayed put and never even wiggled around on the shift knob. So unique modifications aren't foreign to me.

I think the last car I had with a pool ball for a shift knob was an old Audi Coupe GT that i had for about two weeks. It's former owner had put a 5 ball on in place of the stock shift knob. The car did have an inline 5 cylinder though, so that fits I suppose. Still it did look kind of funny seeing that bright orange pool ball amid the painfully tasteful gray Audi interior.
Wow tennis ball 'knob cooler'... I like it !!!

No, I guess you're not a stranger to unique mods, & etc,...

Anyone can just buy something, (long as you have $$$) but I really admire the creativity to make something cool & unusual..

I remember using old Cut-Crystal glass door knobs for hand shifters on my older Harley...(still have a couple of those (circa) 1900s'

But I still do also collect unique shift knobs..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM

yeah, I guess 4 would fit it better. It was easy to find a cheap 8 ball.

Quick Reply: Shift knob replacement? Anyone done it yet?