Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

SS instrument cluster in LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:40 PM

SS instrument cluster in LS

Would the HHR SS speedo cluster work in my 2007 HHR LS 2.2 manual? What would I need to do in order to get it to fit and operate properly?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

would that work considering the SS is faster and top speed is higher? ..your speedo sensor wouldnt match up with the faceplate...but i could be wrong, i'd like to know if this will work also
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Hmm..ifs its just a speed sensor thing to match the SS cluster..is the gear ratios the same? if not then maybe a program? I would think the SS speedo is already compensated for position to match its range,....hmmmm,, and the speedo dont care how fast the car can go..it just relays what is input. Quick and dirty way is to match part numbers for the speed sensor..if same then a swap is easy unless plugs are different which i wouldnt se why they would be from a production point of view
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Rest In Peace

A few have swapped them. I believe you can swap out a Windowed HHR LS/LT with a Windowed HHR SS without issue.

IF you have a HHR Panel, then you MUST swap it from one PANEL to another PANEL, otherwise certain Panel features no longer work correctly.

I think the DLVRNTS Mr & Mrs found that out, I think they just ended up swapping out the speedo Faces to get the higher MPH while maintaining all Panel Functions.

Maybe they found a FIX that I missed reading about.

I was gonna swap mine out, just havent found one directly from a HHR SS PANEL to do it.
After my Supercharger install and other motor perfomance installs are in it would be Nice to see a higher mph speedo in my dash.

But, then again my little GPS can show me my speed above and beyond my speedo limits.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Really think you are going to be do over 120, and if you are, are you really going to take your eyes off the road long enough to read them dinky numbers. Ha Ha, I dont think so.

Want a good looking cluster ?? Black Cat Customs will make your design for you, we have a few members that have used them, Capp, Pyro, Me.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah. Even the digital RPD is hard to see at high speed.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Been there - Done that ..... What a Fiasco and I wouldn't recomend it as a Mod .....

Here's our thread and write up:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/140-mph-ss-speedo-mod-install-25572/

and a photo of our final install .....

Long story short! Use your original cluster as it has some security features run through it! We replaced all of the LED's to bright whites! Used the gauge face from a donor SS Cluster! When we had Trifecta write our tune, he re-wrote the odometer to register 16% less that makes the speedo then read at the correct speed .....

oh and to SS Fan, yes I have taken it up to over 123+ mph returning from Tom's Farm (SoCal) on highway 5! My remark would be "She's Gunna Blow Captain" .....

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

I would have to be going down hill to do that in my 2.4 and it's tuned. The SS on the other hand will do that on a on ramp.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan

I would have to be going down hill to do that in my 2.4 and it's tuned. The SS on the other hand will do that on a on ramp.
Well I was on the downside of the Grapevine .....
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM

So the reason I asked this if because I maxed out the speedo a couple days ago. I figured that the ss speedo would be the easiest way to get it to read right. All I really want is the speedometer to read above 120.

Quick Reply: SS instrument cluster in LS