Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

Mod updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:14 AM

I thought we were supposed to put a few miles on the springs before we get it aligned..
Old 03-25-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
I thought we were supposed to put a few miles on the springs before we get it aligned..
It's always a good idea to put some miles on a new spring install, a good rule of thumb is around 100 miles. This is basically to give all the rubber and plastic pieces a chance to conform, as far as the springs go, a good quality spring will "settle" almost immediately after you put your car back on the ground and move it (like on your test drive), it should settle very close to the advertised height. If springs needed to settle in over any specific mileage then cars from the manufacture would be sitting lopsided and of varying heights over the course of being driven. The purpose of allowing a decient amount of miles is actually to weed out a spring that may have a defect.....and yes, I've seen defective springs. Some from very reliable and respected sources. I drove the crap out of my HHR and actually put on about 60 miles before taking it to the alignment shop, normally I would have done the alignment at 100 miles. But in this case I knew we were heading out early the next morning for a 1000+ round trip so the aignment couldn't wait. I did a measurement just after the test drive (around 10 miles), and again after putting on about 60 miles. I let the car sit over night in the shop after accumulating these miles and remeasured it in the morning before heading to the alignment shop. My measurements proved that the settling was done since both my initial measurement and second remained identical.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
It's a Stull Grill, If I remember right I got it from a place called Auto Truck Toys
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_h...-P10459C0.aspx

well my question is how much cutting was required?

-wC
Old 03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wheelsee
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_h...-P10459C0.aspx

-wC
A lot. :)
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM

hmmm...interesting well it looks like I will have a spare one because mine is being replaced and hopefully isnt bent up too bad from my accident...hopefully my car will be back to me by tuesday or wednesday apparently they had some problems getting the paint mix right(is Daytona Blue a new color for GM?)

-wC
Old 03-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Looks really good!!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsee

-wC
The Capt pretty much summed it up in those two words.

There's a ton of cutting because you need to keep the upper portion of the stock grill as well as the vertical end bars. Cutting it isn't all that hard, but getting everything smooth is a royal PITA unless you shop is well equipped for this sort of thing. All I had to use was a dremmel and sand paper. Ah, but it's well worth the work.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by dan-d
It's always a good idea to put some miles on a new spring install, a good rule of thumb is around 100 miles. This is basically to give all the rubber and plastic pieces a chance to conform, as far as the springs go, a good quality spring will "settle" almost immediately after you put your car back on the ground and move it (like on your test drive), it should settle very close to the advertised height. If springs needed to settle in over any specific mileage then cars from the manufacture would be sitting lopsided and of varying heights over the course of being driven. The purpose of allowing a decient amount of miles is actually to weed out a spring that may have a defect.....and yes, I've seen defective springs. Some from very reliable and respected sources. I drove the crap out of my HHR and actually put on about 60 miles before taking it to the alignment shop, normally I would have done the alignment at 100 miles. But in this case I knew we were heading out early the next morning for a 1000+ round trip so the aignment couldn't wait. I did a measurement just after the test drive (around 10 miles), and again after putting on about 60 miles. I let the car sit over night in the shop after accumulating these miles and remeasured it in the morning before heading to the alignment shop. My measurements proved that the settling was done since both my initial measurement and second remained identical.

Thanks for the info Dan..I didnt get to test drive last night but I'm sure I'm gonna put a few miles on it today..