Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

06 Amber Turn Signal Lenses Melted

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Just looked also, mine is US '08, looks all normal. Only uses the headlights at a reduced lighting for DRL (as previously posted).

I also run on auto-headlights setting.

Something is creating Too much heat. Are your flashers still working properly ?? & parking lights also ?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Just looked also, mine is US '08, looks all normal. Only uses the headlights at a reduced lighting for DRL (as previously posted).

I also run on auto-headlights setting.

Something is creating Too much heat. Are your flashers still working properly ?? & parking lights also ?
Yes, all the lights and bulbs work fine. They are original bulbs and have not been replaced since installed.

I'm actually surprised that non of the 06 owners that have responded so far have this same problem. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of strange condition that occurs in my area specifically?? Maybe this is a problem with early run 06 HHR's and the lenses were changed during the production run. My HHR is an early run (vin ends in 4004.)
Old 12-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Yes, all the lights and bulbs work fine. They are original bulbs and have not been replaced since installed.

I'm actually surprised that non of the 06 owners that have responded so far have this same problem. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of strange condition that occurs in my area specifically?? Maybe this is a problem with early run 06 HHR's and the lenses were changed during the production run. My HHR is an early run (vin ends in 4004.)
Seems to me this must be 'something' that has changed not too long ago.

Otherwise IMO, you would have long ago noticed, or they may be worse yet.

Very strange. I'm sure you can feel heat when DRL is on. I suppose the problem is the amount of heat NOW.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:04 PM

Well I guess I am very lucky my HHr is an 2006 and has 115,201 miles as of this morning and I have no problems at all. I am a very luck guy.

Z

Happy Holidays to all
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Seems to me this must be 'something' that has changed not too long ago.

Otherwise IMO, you would have long ago noticed, or they may be worse yet.

Very strange. I'm sure you can feel heat when DRL is on. I suppose the problem is the amount of heat NOW.
I actually did notice some discoloration and a "star" like feature right above the bulb quite a while ago (not sure when exactly but at least a year ago.) Both of the lenses looked about the same so I didn't really think much of it.

The hole in the amber lens didn't become apparent until last weekend. I had a closer look at the drivers side today and it has a very small hole as well which will likely get larger over time with the heat from the bulb.

I plan on getting in contact with GM on Monday to start a formal complaint process. I can't see any reason for them not to correct the problem. The bulbs are original, the DRL fuse has never blown, the light assembly has never been messed with and it is happening to both bulbs.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:10 PM

My 06 has a build date of 07/04/2005, They don't get to much early
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM

My 06 is fine....
Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

I actually did notice some discoloration and a "star" like feature right above the bulb quite a while ago (not sure when exactly but at least a year ago.) Both of the lenses looked about the same so I didn't really think much of it.

The hole in the amber lens didn't become apparent until last weekend. I had a closer look at the drivers side today and it has a very small hole as well which will likely get larger over time with the heat from the bulb.

I plan on getting in contact with GM on Monday to start a formal complaint process. I can't see any reason for them not to correct the problem. The bulbs are original, the DRL fuse has never blown, the light assembly has never been messed with and it is happening to both bulbs.
Strange problem, wish you luck with GM about this, maybe they know of other cases ? & an answer..
Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM

If everything is original, GM should step up on this one, seems to me, even if only from a PR perspective. A friendly and interested service manager can be very helpful, if you approach him/her correctly. If there is no 'silent' recall for this, try working the PR angle.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM

Mine is a 2009 using the headlights running at a reduced intensity for DRLs. This reduced intensity is accomplished with an inline resistance on the low beam.

If your 2006 uses a similar reduced intensity on the turn signal lamps then my guess is that the "resistance" has shorted causing the turn signal bulbs to run all the time at full intensity. In my experience turn signal bulbs are not designed to run all the time and will over heat and not last long at full intensity. After all they are on, then off then on again when activated under normal conditions.

Quick Reply: 06 Amber Turn Signal Lenses Melted