Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

'06 dying when driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM

'06 dying when driving

I bought my 2006 Chev HHR, used, about 5 years ago. It now has about 118k miles. It has the 2.2 liter engine. It is an automatic. The tranny was rebuilt last summer, and they replaced the thermostat and serpentine belt at that time. It's nearly paid off, and I have a nasty habit of trading in my cars right before they are paid off, but for the first time in as long as I can remember, I don't want to do that this time, I love my car.

I have visited this site regularly, but never posted. I fixed my flooded passenger side floorboard issue last winter with the step by step directions on this site (Hubby said it wouldn't work, but I proved him wrong!!). Anytime I have an issue with my HHR, this is my first stop. Usually I can figure out the issue with the search feature.

In any event, this morning my HHR died while driving through an intersection. My engine is normally pretty quiet, and I drive with my radio on, so other than the fact that the gas pedal didn't respond, I had no idea that the engine was off. The lights were all still on, the radio was still on, nothing changed at all, except that the engine was off. I popped it into neutral and started it right back up, then popped it into drive and got the heck out of the intersection (the light had turned red while I was stalled!!) It was about 22 degrees, and I had been driving for approximately 12 miles, mostly at 55mph.

It did this same thing a few weeks ago, but I was on a side street, just pulling away from the curb, so while it was frustrating, it was not as dangerous as it was this morning, dying in a busy intersection.

I used the search function, and I don't think it's an ignition issue, as my key does not turn when pulling on it (and I only drive with my HHR key, key fob, and 1 house key on my key ring). I'm positive that the key was still in the on position both times.

My check engine light did not come on. Will it throw a code anyway? That part has always confused me.

My husband ran some stuff through the gas tank after the first time it died, and it improved my mileage rates very slightly.

The car is (clearly) out of warranty. My husband has a friend that has his own shop and can check for codes, and while he does give us a discount on his hourly rate, money is really tight right now, so if it is something we can try on our own, that would really be best.

Anyway, I know I'm long winded. I apologize.

Any suggestions on what I can try? Should I get the codes read even without a check engine light?

Thank you!

P.S. My driver's side door handle is broken right now (haven't had time to fix it) so if it hadn't started back up this morning I would have had to roll my window down before I could get out and push it out of the intersection!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Yes there can be codes in the system with out the light being on. So I would start there. If there are no codes I would do a throdle body cleaning. Some times the throdle body gets coked up and restricts the min air flow when the throdle plate is close causing a engine to stall.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Thank you Lucky.

We are taking it to our friend's shop on Saturday, to check for codes.

I'll have my hubby pick up some throttle cleaner stuff, his brother seemed to know what I was talking about (good thing, 'cause my husband didn't have any idea.)

Hopefully that will resolve the problem. I'd sure hate to have it die like that if I had any of my kids with me.

I'll let you know. Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

You might want to also check the fuse panel under the hood - I believe the upper part sometimes comes loose from the lower part that it plugs into. Just make sure it is well attached. And also check the cables attached to the upper part of the same fuse panel to make sure the connections are tight.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM

I have an '06 and this has happened a few time to us as well. Mostly it has happened to my wife not me. When it has happened when I'm in the car it is always after I have stopped like at a light or stop sign and shortly after it has been stated for the first for the day. I think its just that the engine is not warmed up enough so it dies.

It always starts right back up and goes fine afterward {so far anyway} and no codes have been evident when I put my code reader on it. Granted my code reader is probably the cheapest one Autozone sells so its probably not what a professional would be using.

Our neighbors bought a 2010 Cobalt and have had to have their buggy towed into the dealer at least twice because it stalled at the one stoplight in the county {just a few blocks away} and would not start again. I only mention this because the Cobalt has the same livers and gizzards as our HHR's do.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks Whopper, I meant to check that earlier, and forgot. I'll go do it right now.

Oh, how I hope it's something that easy! (though we'll still follow up with the other stuff as well.)
Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Administrator

If you're near an Autozone, or other parts place, most will search for codes for free, however, they will also tell you that they can't read codes unless the engine light is on. Another thing to check is the gas cap ensure it is on and turned pas 3 clicks. My wife had this issue a few weeks ago, the rare time she uses the HHR. I checked the cap and the gas jockey had not screwed it in all the way past the 3 clicks.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 PM

Check the wiring and connector going to the ECM (under the Darth Vader hood in front of the fuse box).
Old 12-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Update

Mechanic friend said there weren't any codes.

He changed the spark plugs and boots, and cleaned the throttle body.

It seems to be running smoother, and hasn't died again.

Of course, it had only happened twice before, with weeks between the episodes, so I'm not completely convinced that the issue is fixed. Time will tell.

But for now, at least, I think (hope) we're ok.

Thank you all for your advice!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Hope it turns ok - keep us posted.

And for your interior door handle problem, see: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/inside-door-handle-replace-39855/#post699927