Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

06' HHR suddenly quit recognizing the code in my key's chip??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Question 06' HHR suddenly quit recognizing the code in my key's chip??

I bought my HHR brand new (had 58 miles on it) on January 28th 2006, and have loved it every day and all 100K+ miles, but sadly a few weeks ago (unfortunately it was a crazy busy day too) I started my HHR by using my remote start, and then unlocked my door with the remote as well, then as always I inserted my key and immediately the engine shut down. I tried again several times to start it, and all that happened was dash lights flashing all crazy, and a loud ticking noise under the hood somewhere.
After several attempts to start my HHR I gave up and called AAA, they assumed it was a battery issue however when they tested it all was fine (this is the original battery btw). So at this point he believes it is the starter and asks "where would you like to be towed?" So he called a tow truck out and they took me to Pep-Boys down the street. Was quoted a price on diagnostic, and a refurbished started installed. After about 30 minutes they come in and ask if I'd had any starting issues previously. I state "no" and he says that my starter is just fine, but he believes my code in my key's chip isn't being recognized by whatever module under the hood it is that reads it to know it's the correct key. Unfortunately I lost one set of the 2 remote/key sets the dealer gave me at the time of purchase 6 months prior, so this set was my spare.
I've never heard of such a thing, but called around to what few dealers are still in business in my area to see about getting a new key, and of course it's Saturday at 3pm and all of the Service departments are closed. Oh and its Labor Day weekend so no help until the following Tuesday. Another customer inside P/B suggests I try a "Mobile Locksmith" so I luckily find one who's on a call but will make it over to make me a new key, giving me a starting quote of $165 + and an additional service call charge of $35. He gets to me about an hour later and starts his process, cutting a key, connecting something to “program” this new key etc. then he says it didn’t work  but he feels bad for me and says let me try programming again.
So this goes on quite some time as each programming takes 30-40 minutes and he tried 3-4 times. At this point my battery is going low, so bless P/B they bring out a portable power pack thing to keep things going. Just before they closed for the night (I’d been there since 2pm) the locksmith inserts his newly made/programmed key and the car starts. Well this may seem like cause for celebration, but unfortunately the same module which didn’t recognize my key could tell this wasn’t an “original” key/code/chip or whatever, and the DIC says “reduced engine power” and the sounds coming from the muffler were like some massive helicopter chase scene on Dolby surround sound as we were in between two buildings, he drives out of the parking space we were in and turns back and puts the car right back again. At this point a few P/B mechanics are out as well and everyone’s just baffled as to what to do. Also since this foreign key’s insertion the check engine light has newly appeared. One of the mechanics grabs the code reader thing and comes back with some code having to do with something completely unrelated which I can’t recall.
The locksmith looks at me and says it looks as though you’ll have to go to the dealer when they open Tuesday. UGH!!! 6+ hours dealing with this (missing my concert my daughter was taking me to for my birthday as well) and I was still at square one!
In some random last ditch effort he pulls my original key out of his pocket and has them try it. It starts right up, no problems and running as smooth as can be! The car has been perfect every since….though I fear now having the issue again every time I need to start it. So the locksmith says, you still need to pay as I reprogrammed your module to read your key’s code. This sounded very strange that I could spend $200 and leave with absolutely nothing new, but what can we do. I’ve read some stories/threads on here but do not see anything that sounds like a similar issue.

I just don’t see how an “ORIGINAL” key fitting into my “ORIGINAL” HHR which I bough brand new can suddenly stop reading the code in the chip!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM

The steering column is what needs to match the key. If you are using the key that has the "+" stamped on it, then this is a job for GM to replace the steering column. But, if you accidentally picked up the other key (without the "+") then slap yourself on the forehead and forget that you mentioned it. (love the pickle!)

If, P/B means Pep Boys, then that is the problem. I just came home from there getting tires, I was assured that they re-learned the TPMS on my 2008. But when I turned the car off the horn beeped twice and the lights flashed. I will investigate tomorrow.

Also, the steering column has a maximum number of "new" keys that can be matched.

I am putting my money on Pep Boys using the fob to lock the car then manually unlocking, thus activating the anti-theft. Or, some other mis-use of the (somewhat arcane) computer programming system, then finding a locksmith that did not understand it either. Most Pep Boys mechanics will swear to GOD that you have put a a large gold bowtie on a PT Cruiser, don't know about locksmiths, but ..... could be a rookie, I'll cut slack since it's not my $200.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

Welcome to the site, btw. AND it is possible that something happened, wiring loose, hit a bump, and something happened. IT could be any number of things.