Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

08 HHR LT no communication with any module with my scanner

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 08:08 AM

08 HHR LT no communication with any module with my scanner

After replacing the trans solenoids I have lost communication with all of the module's. It started with loss of EPS and TCM communication after the repair. I believe there was an arch to the the TCM before I unhooked the battery. I DIC had EPS and TCM on the display when I started the car to top off the tranny fluid. I replaced the battery box upon reassembly with a salvage yard unit when I noticed the front ring terminal was broken. I used a Zürich ZR13 to clear the codes. After the codes came back with noEPS and no communication with TCM I hooked up my Tech2 finding no communication with any of the module's. I've checked all the fused, connections, and plug's multiple times. When I checked module status the first time with the Tech2 the dash module was pressant but when I selected it there was no communication. I'm at a loss.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Possibly the wrecking yard under hood fuse box is faulty, corroded? Possibly a ground wire didn’t get replaced, in its location, clean and tight. Maybe the TCM harness is the problem, a bent pin ? Corrosion?
Old 09-28-2021, 09:48 AM

I have installed three fuse panels to check that including the original panel. There was no change. When I checked the connectors, I pulled them apart to check for bent or pushed pins. There was no apparent damage. I replaced the TCM with one I had on hand to see if there's would be a change. No joy. I reinstalled the original. I didn't unhooked any grounds. Other than the positive battery cable, harness connectors, trans solenoids, fuse panel nothing else was disturbed. I didn't need to remove any grounds. I had nothing else apart.
with EPS. I still suspect there was an arch event before I pulled the battery cable. I removed fuse panel cover and when I pulled the TCU it slipped out of my hand and fell in the direction of the fused panel battery terminal. At that point I removed the battery cable. So literally the third thing I did was remove the battery cable but the damage may already been done. That what I got for being in a hurry.

I know there is usually a simple fix to a multiple code or this time communication failure to resolve the issue. There has to be a common circuit or conduit if you will for the communication for all the modules. I don't know where to look.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:52 AM

If there was an arc to the TCM and ECM they are dead.
BTW, unhook the NEGATIVE to avoid arcing.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:44 AM

The car still starts and runs and goes into forward and reverse but will not upshift. The DIC doesn't have any numeric values for temp, either trip or either MPG displays. It shows the tire pressures and odometer reading. Is it just using defaults? What controls CAN buss communication?
Old 09-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Yes X2 , if you leave the ground cable connected to the battery the RAP keeps voltage for 10 minutes, so just remember to only remove the negative cable at the battery. So if you dropped the TCM into the positive terminal at the under hood fuse box, it is possible it shorted out.

the dash readings you mention are involved with the speed sensor , is it connected?
check the interior fuse panel for cluster
fuse.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:33 AM

Good to know. Where is the speed sensor? It doesn't have ABS. I hooked everything up that I disassembled. The number 7 fuse under left kick panel (BCM) is good.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:09 PM
Administrator

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ic-more-58417/

Here’s a thread about it
Old 09-29-2021, 04:32 PM
Banned

pull the plug to the abs brian and c if u can com with the tech 2 u may have a abs brain prob , iv had a lot of probs with them from 08 and have found a shop out of state that repairs them gluck
Old 10-01-2021, 09:22 AM

Thank you for everyone's help. The problem I think was multifaceted. I must of had some bad connections under the engine fuse panel and a bricked TCM. After reinstalling the second fuse panel ( W\O broken ring terminal) again and after checking the all connectors for broken wires or pushed pins. My scanner could communicate with all the modules except the TCM. I replaced the TCM with a salvage yard unit and had it flashed. All was good. I don't know exactly what connection/connections were at fault but the communication problem went away. The TCM was a straight forward repair.

Does anyone have the correct website or guide me to the correct part of the GM Techline to get the firmware to Calibrate the different modules.
I've been to ACDELCO TDS on the Techline and downloaded the software but none of it was for the Tech2. I don't have the MDI hardware. I know the Tech2 will do everything I need on my cars. Is it not available or just not on the current Techline?

Again THANK YOU for everyones help.