Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

08 HHR Wont Start Battery is Good is Getting Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:04 PM

08 HHR Wont Start Battery is Good is Getting Gas

I was at work went out on break it started no problem two hours later tried to start it and it wouldn't the battery is good and it is getting gas I don't have access to much for diagnostic tools any suggestions.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM

Welcome to the site.

I assume that when you say the battery is good the car cranks over good?

May I ask how you know the engine is getting fuel?

Are there any lights on the dash that aren't always there like the security light?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! The battery may be the issue here how old is it!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:49 AM

I saw in your profile that you have a 2008 HHR. Which model?

Have you been having other problems with your buggy?

Has the CEL been on at all lately?

Do you have or can you borrow a code reader?

If you have the automatic transmission your neutral switch may not be operating correctly but usually when that happens the engine simply does not turn. If your engine does try to turn that may not be the problem.

Give us more to go on please.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Welcome to the site.

I assume that when you say the battery is good the car cranks over good?

May I ask how you know the engine is getting fuel?

Are there any lights on the dash that aren't always there like the security light?
Thank You,

Yes it cranks over strong.

I can hear the fuel pump turning on and I pressed the stem valve on the injector track and there was gas multiple times.

There are no new lights besides the check engine light and I was almost due for an oil change.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I saw in your profile that you have a 2008 HHR. Which model?

Have you been having other problems with your buggy?

Has the CEL been on at all lately?

Do you have or can you borrow a code reader?

If you have the automatic transmission your neutral switch may not be operating correctly but usually when that happens the engine simply does not turn. If your engine does try to turn that may not be the problem.

Give us more to go on please.
I have an 08 HHR LS.

I haven't had any problems with the engine the suspension could use some work its coming up on the time for an oil change but its been starting fine and running well.

I'm not sure what the CEL is but there hasn't been any new lights or indicators on.

I don't have any access to a code reader unless i can tow it to O'rielly's.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Without knowing that or those MIL codes , very hard to diagnose over the Internet.
How about those grounds are any loose?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:31 AM

CEL=Check Engine Light
MIL=Malfunction Indicator Light

{So they are basically the same thing}

After the CEL comes on there are usually codes stored in the computer that will help us tell you what might be wrong with your car.

I have three code reading devices now. The cheapest was bought from Harbor Freight for around $20.00 when they had them on sale one day. Unfortunately they are not always on sale.

More expensive OBDII readers have the code definitions onboard less expensive ones have a book that comes with the them that have the definitions in it.

One works with my 'smart' phone using Bluetooth, called an ELM-327 that one I got from a vendor on eBay for around $7.00 with free shipping, but I have seen them since for less.

I think it would be a good thing for you to buy a code reader of your own. {I think everyone should own at least one code reader} Most of the code readers I've ever seen will not only read the codes but can reset them.

I think everyone should own a code scanner of their very own. They really are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Usually when you go to a parts store they will scan your computer for free but they don't like to tell you what the actual code is.

They like to tell you their interpretation of what the code is. You will usually get better and more complete information here on this site.

Anyway please have your computer scanned and try to get the actual code numbers to post here so we might be able to help figure out what is wrong with the machine.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 11-16-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 PM

I agree the next best step is to read the codes.

Some part store will rent them to you also.

If it cranks but don't start there Is a good chane that there is a code that will help lead us in the right direction.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Deceased

X2, get thee to an auto parts store and have them "Pull the Codes".

OBD II trouble codes ars wonderful things, it's like when your little child is sick but they can't articulate where they're feeling bad. The Codes in your HHR enable it to say "I've got a tummy ache, and here's where it hurts".

Quick Reply: 08 HHR Wont Start Battery is Good is Getting Gas