Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

12 volt power outlets

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Technical Moderator

12 volt power outlets

I had been running my power inverter (powering a laptop computer) off of the rear console power outlet for a couple of weeks when the inverter stopped working. Plugged the inverter into the other outlet, worked fine; checked the fuses under the hood, none are blown (#29 $ #30).

So, I popped the top of the console off (BTW, real easy just pry up) to get to the power outlet connecter. Got my VOM out, there is power to the connecter, but not into the outlet????? WTH!

Seems that there is built in overheat protection on the + side, no continuity from the + pin to the center + rivet. Even though I can see that they seem to be in contact!

No fuses blew, there is one under the hood and one in the adapter. Luckily the power outlet is like $5. But, I have wired the inverter directly to the battery via a fuse.

And once you get the thing out you can see why it is not a "cigarette lighter". It cannot function as one in any way, the contacts are not there and the bottom is plastic.

Last edited by donbrew; 01-05-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting.. think yer laptop is drawing too much juice causing outlet to get hot ?

side note: my build sheet shows cig lighter in front outlet & it does have normal cig lighter innards..
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Technical Moderator

The socket does get pretty hot, I had it plugged into a heavier duty socket that did the same thing. The inverter claims to draw 30A, the power outlet has a 20A fuse. Direct wired now. Fixed the power outlet by whacking the rivet with a screw driver and hammer.

I remember you saying you had the smoker pkg., I was mainly reinforcing the difference between a "cigar lighter" and a "power outlet".
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Sorry to dredge up a dead thread but thats why we have a search bar, to keep from a new thread. Anyway, donbrew you said hitting the rivet fixed the outlet? I was running an air pump to get a few more weeks out of a leaky tire. First the front outlet went dead and now the back one. so without any working outlet in the car I'm looking to fix them both.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by jaytheredneck1
Sorry to dredge up a dead thread but thats why we have a search bar, to keep from a new thread. Anyway, donbrew you said hitting the rivet fixed the outlet? I was running an air pump to get a few more weeks out of a leaky tire. First the front outlet went dead and now the back one. so without any working outlet in the car I'm looking to fix them both.
First check the fuses! Air pumps sometimes do it.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM

yeah my fuses are all good
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Technical Moderator

New outlets are cheap at the dealer, "special" tool to remove, or be inventive.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 PM

So how do you remover the rear auxiliary power outlet?

I can see two tabs (at top and bottom) to stop the socket from turning and two more tabs (at left and right) to stop the socket from pulling out when you unplug your device.

Also, there must be a way to unplug the two connecting wires. I can't find a release. (I have removed a plastic clip above the wires.)
Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 PM

I've found the answers to the above post.

To remove the socket the releases are inside the socket. I had to drill out the plastic tabs as I assumed the power outlet would have to be replaced.

The release for the electrical connection is at the bottom - for the rear auxiliary power outlet.

Now I find that there is no power at the wires that plug into the back of the socket. There is power at fuse # 12 and the fuse is good. What could go wrong between the fuse and the socket?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

#12 fuse shows to be for the power outlet at the back hatch(panel van). You should check the other fuses for the forward power outlets/cig. lighter.
#29 and 30 I believe.

Quick Reply: 12 volt power outlets