Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

1st Problem W/the Toy

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:30 PM

Angry 1st Problem W/the Toy

Went to get a haircut, started up the car...can't get the car out of park. It seems the "trigger" release is jammed. Even with my foot on the brake, the shifter will not budge.

This is my first new car in over 20 years...I've called roadside assistance and am waiting for a tow to the dealer. Will let you know further as the story progresses. I hope this is not the start of a long horror story.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:36 PM

Grump - did you take out the key and then try again, or maybe even several times? I'm asking because this is what happened to me once: I used the remote start function, and it subsequently died on me shortly after. I used the remote start again, and it started up and stayed on that time. Then, after I got into the car and tried to drive away, my shifter was stuck! I tried a few times, including depressing the brake pedal a few times - to no avail. Then, I turned the car off, started it up again, and the shifter and everything else worked fine. I thought I was in a pickle, too, until I shut it down and re-started it. Just wondering - hope it all works out well.
As for the remote start dying on me, I know others have had an issue with this, but it hasn't happened to me enough to make a dreaded trip to the dealership. Otherwise, my HHR has performed flawlessly!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Just got back from the dealer,I'm leaving it over night. I might as well get an oil change and tires rotated while it's there.

PHX, to answer your question, yes tried several times starting the car and depressing the brake and wiggling the shifter to no avail. It's the release button on the shifter that's stuck all the way in....

This is the first time at this Dealer (Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet)..so we'll see how well the service is
Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM

That sucks - good luck nonetheless, my friend - hope it all works out well and Chevy/GM pays for it!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM

UPdate: Dealer called me. The shifter needs to be replaced, with the holidays and all, they don't expect to get the part until next week! F#@!#$#$%#$@$

They are offering me a rental at no charge..I'll call them back after I cool off.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Grumpee, you gotta love having problems during the holidays. I found out on the 19th that my rear liftgate won't open. Well it sure was fun shopping and loading up gifts to go to my families place. Because of the holiday my HHR didn't get into the shop until today, they just called and said they need a new part which won't be in until mid next week becuase of new years. So I'm without access to the back for almost three weeks.

I was cursing and swearing and really pissed just like you are!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Update: The rental they gave me is a Black '07 1LT w/2.4 motor. Grey Fabric interior, No running boards.

The wait for my car won't be so painful.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 AM

Give us a critique on the 07... Do you have a 2.4? Can you tell the power diff. if you do...?
PS. Don`t be too rough with the loaner, could be a future members "Ride" someday...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Give us a critique on the 07... Do you have a 2.4? Can you tell the power diff. if you do...?
PS. Don`t be too rough with the loaner, could be a future members "Ride" someday...
There is no difference in power between the '06 & '07 HHR engines - only in the way GM rates them. They have adopted a new standard of measurement which makes GM's original (conservative) hp & torque figures look higher, that's all. Same engines.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
BB,

Can't give a fair opinion, because it's optioned out differently (wheels/tires interior) The rental is a 1LT and my car is a 2LT because of the differences the ride " feels" different.

The rental came w/16 inch wheels + "touring suspension" soaks up the road irregularities so it's not as noticeable as the 17" wheels/tire combo and "sport" suspension.

Engine power - seat of the pants feeling is the same, although....

the transmission shifting - I think the slight hesitation that I feel under part throttle shift from 3rd to OD is gone in the O7. Other's have commented on this, but I wonder if it is realistic that the dealer can reprogram it. Have others had it done?????..not sure if I hear about this on this forum or another forum.

The rental doesn't have running boards, at 4100 miles on the odometer, I already see paint chip problems on the rear quarter

I miss my heated leather seats (hey i know it's Southern Cal ..but it did get down to the mid 30's last week)

Last edited by GRUMPEE; 12-28-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st Problem W/the Toy