Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2.2L engine no start, zero fuel pressure after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:25 AM

2.2L engine no start, zero fuel pressure after sitting

I have a problem that just popped up on my 2009 HHR 2.2L automatic engine with 54,000 miles. When I go to crank the engine it cranks strong but acts like it is not getting fuel or spark. No ignition at all. I checked my OBD11 code reader and there were no codes. I tried using some starting fluid and the engine fired right up and ran fine. I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and it read a STEADY 58 psi. Took it for a drive and everything seemed fine so I just figured this was a one off issue. This morning I went out and the HHR did the same thing. It cranks strong but no ignition. Again, after using starting fluid it fired up and ran perfect. One thing I did notice was that when the engine cranks and does not start, there does not seem to be any fuel pressure on the rail. Once started the fuel pressure seems OK. After the engine has run and I shut it off, I can start it again with no issues, as long as it does not sit too long. It seems to be losing fuel pressure in the fuel rail and it needs the starting fluid to get fuel flowing again. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the fuel pressure to "leak down" to zero and causing a no start situation?
With the engine shut off after running, it takes about 2 minutes to leak down to about 15psi. It seems to take a few hours to get to zero.
I decided to try something different which was to bleed the fuel pressure down to zero to see if the engine would start. I did this about 15 minutes after it was last run. This time with zero fuel pressure the engine fired right up. It appears that it has to sit for several hours after dropping to zero fuel pressure for this to result in a no start condition.

Last edited by rgatijnet; 08-22-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Start engine, stop engine, pressure should read 50-60 PSI, if it drops more than 5 PSI in 1 minute you need a new pump. Should never be zero.

I believe you need a new fuel pump, the pressure is dropping and not getting to the injectors at start up.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:41 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was hoping that was not the problem but I'm not surprised. Even tho I only have 53,000 miles I do know that some parts fail because of time and not mileage. I never ran the tank below 1/4 just to make sure I kept the pump cool. Oh well, time to dig out the wrenches and get this done. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:19 AM
Administrator

It’s not that hard of a job, just the electrical connector, fuel pressure line and 4 15 mm head bolts.
I’ve dropped the fuel tank a few times over the years , in my driveway car up on 4 jack stands you have to disconnect the exhaust hanger donuts and swing the pipe out of the way.
A tip, drive around to empty the tank at least until the low fuel alarm dings.

This might help

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...acement-36541/
Old 08-22-2021, 09:29 AM

I appreciate the link. It doesn't seem like too much of an issue and I certainly have the tools and other equipment needed. It has to be done and I guess dropping the fuel tank is better than a colonoscopy. Fortunately it can wait for a few days until I can work up the ambition to do it while I burn up the fuel that is in the tank.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Don't condemn the fuel pump without some testing and looking at other possibilities.
(the common HHR problem of fuel lines rusted/leaking can lead to fuel pressure loss)

Check the pump pressure at the rail by turning the key to ON (but not starting the engine ) If you get the 50-60 psi at the rail, then it's not a pump failure.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:41 AM

Doing that gave me 58 psi but as soon as I turn the key off the pressure starts dropping quickly. I believe that the pump itself is OK but the pressure regulator may be at fault. Problem is the pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump. I did check the fuel lines and everything seems to be in good order.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

I sometimes have that same issue. It appears that the fuel line loses pressure, but not always.
When this happens I just try the start sequence twicwe and it will start and run just fine.
I have had this problem since I purchased 'Toughie' 5 years ago.
I know one of these days I too will replace the fuel pump, just not now
Old 08-22-2021, 11:36 AM

Ahh.....a true procrastinator. I am really not in a big hurry to change the fuel pump so I may delay it for awhile, or at least until I run low on fuel and there is no baseball game on. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:15 PM

Two things to eliminate before condemning the fuel pump are a fuel line leak and a leaking fuel injector. The former should within a minute or two give you a fuel smell somewhere under the car, most likely just forward of the driver side rear wheel. The latter would flood one cylinder and give a fuel smell at the tailpipe when you try to start it, even though it doesn’t. If you get no fuel smell, a failed check valve in the fuel pump is the likely culprit.

Just for fun you could try a “virtual” starting fluid test. Just skip the starting fluid. I understand the fuel pump turns off after just a few seconds of no start. Try turning on the ignition for a few seconds before turning it to start. Rinse, repeat. After a few more tries the fuel line might build up sufficient pressure to start. Don’t hold the key in the start position; you just turn it momentarily and the car keeps cranking until it starts or times out.

Quick Reply: 2.2L engine no start, zero fuel pressure after sitting