Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 Chevy HHR cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Exclamation

Hello guys! Having a problem with my daughters HHR. When you turn the key it sounds kinda soft (if that makes any sense). It sounds like the starter isnt engaging but it is because the serpentine belt is rotating. I opened the valve cover and the timing chain is good. You can smell gas plus I pressed the shredder valve and fuel squirted out. I tested the ICM and the coil for spark with an inline spark tester. That also checked out fine. Lastly, I swapped the crankshaft position sensor because it was inexpensive and that didn't work. I'm not sure what else i can check next. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks…

Last edited by Rocky Aranda; 03-11-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Duplicate posts
Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Hi Rocky, to the forums!!

I moved your post out of front page news to here in the Problems/Service/Repairs forum.

You might want to inspect the starter gear and flex plate or flywheel.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Alright, maybe a compression test is in order.

Also, check to see if there are any CEL (OBD2) codes, post up just the codes here, not descriptions(which can be misleading).
Old 03-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Check fuses, in the underhood fuse box, sometimes they work loose, also the fuse box halves can loosen up.
Is the CEL on, if so you might have a code or two to down load.
How old is the battery, it may crank the engine but not enough current to keep the computers happy.
You should put the original crankshaft position sensor, as that would need to be relearned with a scan tool.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:29 PM

My son-in-law was driving the car when he said that a message popped up on the display that read "engine speed reduced" or something along that line. The car slowed to around 40mph and wouldn't go any faster. The next day he said it started up then later on it completely died. He towed it to a mechanic who couldn't find the problem. He erased the codes and now it's my problem...LOL! First action I took was take the starter and battery out and have them tested at Autozone. The battery was low so I had them charge it. As for the starter it tested good.

Ive checked the fuses they seem good and there is no CEL. The yellow engine light comes on when the keys turned but Im sure thats typical.The battery is around a 1 1/2 years old. Autozone charged it for me. The starter wheel pops out ok. I haven't checked the flywheel yet. Im assuming to check it for any broken teeth,right? Whats the flex plate and wheres it located? Ill try a compression test next, unless any of the new information Ive added helps you guys steer me in a different direction.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Even though the timing chain is intact and looks good, are the timingmarks on the chain lining up, it could have skipped a tooth or two!
The VVT solenoids could be faulty,. So let's get to basics
What year?
Which engine?
Automatic? Or standard?
Great news that the battery is fairly new a freshly charged!
It went into power reduced limp mode, but no CEL or codes?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Technical Moderator

What would cause you to think "crankshaft position sensor"? A new one must be relearned with a computer.

Throwing parts at it will not help, and that one has no connection to the stated problem.

Go back to the mechanic and ask for the code numbers that he cleared, and ask why he did clear them, if he didn't fix anything. Just to make it harder for the next guy?

Automatic transmissions have flex plates, standards have flywheels.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 PM

But if the serpentine belt is turning, it's not likely the flexplate/flywheel.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:46 AM

I just changed the crankshaft position sensor just to eliminate it as the culprit. ill put it back. i didn't know you had to relearn it. ill check the markings on the timing chain. Where are the VVT solenoids located? Ill check that as soon as possible. I doubt the mechanic will know the codes.Its automatic. how do i check the flex plate? 2006 2.2 ecotech automatic
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

The 2006 HHR 2.2 does not have the VVT, so no solenoids.

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy HHR cranks but won't start