Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 HHR problems over and over and over

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM

2006 HHR problems over and over and over

Im new to this site, but so far it has helped out alot! We bought a 2006 HHR 2.2 with right under 100,000 miles on it. Within a matter of just a few days we started having problems with it, one after the next. First it started with a noise that sounds like the manifold heat shield is going to fall off, once the car warms up, this goes away. The front end made a "clunk" everytime we hit a small bump in the road, this turned out that it needed new sway bar bushings. Then the blower motor quit working in all but the top speed, this turned out to be the resistor, then the check eng. light comes on and off when it wants to, 3 codes have showed up so far. The car started to have a spell where it wouldn't start, or would die at idle, this turned out to be a fuel pump relay, so it was replaced. Now, the A/C only blows on the floor boards and nothing comes out of the dash vents, when it rains, the passenger floor board fills up with water and the back liftgate wont open at all, like the actuator doesn't do it's job. We have spent over $1000 on this car in the past 4 months that we've owned it. I'm tired of thowing money at something that keeps costing us more money every time we turn around. My question is this, does anyone want this thing? We owe about $4000 on it, I'd be happy getting $6000 out of it, but I know that wont happen. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? Can anyone suggest how to fiix what's wrong with this HHR? I'm tired of fighting it. I have a family that I'm trying to take care of and I don't need anymore headaches.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. Sounds like the previous owner(s) didn't do any maintenance before you bought it.

With 100K I would expect the sway bar bushings to need replacement. Did you check the liftgate fuse? It's #10 in the engine compartment fuse box. Look in your manual or under the cover of the fuse box for the location of the #10 fuse.

The blower motor resistor and the water on the passenger compartment floor would be from a tear in a rubber cover under the cowel on the passenger side. It is a easy repair and there is a "how to" for this job and a lot of guys that have replaced the cover used a metal cover instead of the rubber so it won't leak again.

You didn't state what the 3 codes were so can't help you there but if you post the codes someone will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Welcome to the site. With almost 30,000 members someone has had all the problems you are having and there is tons of information and lots of people willing to help.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 AM
geg

Indeed.
The car was simply in the bad hands.
What you have written - a very unfortunate but not fatal.
If I'm not mistaken, you are not a person who possesses the skills to repair and spends day in the garage. I - the same thing.
In your place I would have found the guy as "garage master - a self-taught" and would give him a car for a couple of weeks. Writing assignment - to inspect the entire car, identify problems and resolve them. The guy gets the pleasure and reward.
I think $ 200 and a crate of beer - enough incentive to be productive and fast work. At the same time - do not more pay for the removal of minor problems. The dealer will take longer pay, I'm not talking about time-consuming.
However ... Perhaps in the U.S. so not accepted?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the advice gang, I have a 73 beetle and a 62 MGA that i love to work on, the family car (HHR) isn't one of them, but looks as if I'll have to make the time and track down the problems, I'll keep my chin up and keep you all posted. Thanks again
Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 PM
geg

well done!