Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need help with diagnosing problems on a 2006 LT auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Need help with diagnosing problems on a 2006 LT auto

I have a 2006 LT 2.2l automatic, and while on a road trip I started to have problems with the car. I'm wondering if anyone has some insight as to the problem.

Here is the sequence of events as they occurred. Last weekend I drove approximately 1100 miles over 2 days, most of it at highway speed (60-70 MPH). Approximately a third of the trip was spent in hilly terrain. This was followed by approximately 100 miles of city driving (40 MPH and under) over the next 5 days. I then set out on the highway to return home when the problems started.

The first indication there was a problem was when the car was restarted after a stop, the security indicator came on and stayed on, and the instrument panel powered down and up again. After shutting the car off, cycling the key several times and checking the connections to the battery terminals, the security indicator went out, and the problem subsided. The car was fine until the next time it was shut off, nad then the same thing happened (about an hour and a half later). I repeated the above procedure and the isssue subsided again.

This worked until the next time I stopped, at which time the security indicator came on again and so did the check engine light. The car also began to shift hard. Off to find an Autozone for a code read! The code I got was a P0742 - TCC solenoid failure. The code was cleared and the hard shift cleared up. Having about 1100 miles to drive, I was a little concerned, but the car seemed to be running good.

However, the problem has since returned and I have pulled the following codes as well P0740, P0700, and U0073. What concerns me is not that these codes all seem to point the the TCC solenoid failing, but the fact that the security indicator is on, and the instument panel cycles off and on...though this is mostly the speedometer and the temperature. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone had/seen a case where the TCC solenoid failing causes this type of behavior? I'm concerned the real problem is not transmission related but actually the computer failing and causing the car to behave like it is a different failure.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM

P0742 Torque converter clutch circuit stuck
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
U0073 Could be somethig as simple as a loose electrical connector, low voltage situation, blown fuse or complete failure of one of the modules.

I'd start with the TCC soleniod or TCC-PWM solenoid if I were to start on this myself. I haven't been around this particular tranny (auto) so not too familiar with much of it. But reading the codes.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Only time Ive seen the security lite come on is when the batt was just about in unusable mode.( low voltage).....had the rear hatch open and didn't shut the light off....the dash did exactly the same thing
Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Well, after a few trips to the mechanic and much searching on the internet, the problems I was encountering on our road trip were diagnosed.

The HHR has a harness issue at the transmission plug located adjacent to the oil filter. The harness doesn't have enough slack in it to accommodate the flex of the drivetrain and the pins (crappy little crimp on deals that shouldn't have been used) in the connector plug eventually crack and breakoff. The symptoms are pretty consistant...as I described below, the first indicator you are likely to see is the security indicator will come on, and the cruise control will intermittently disengage. Depending on which/how many pins are getting bad connections, the more varied/severe the symptoms. You can confirm this fault by gently pushing in on the plug...you should get a positive connection then and the symptoms will temporarily disappear.

While simply replacing the broken pins will correct the problem, they will continue to fail over time. What I have had done is to extend the harness ~8" to alleviate the strain on the plug during driving. I'll keep everyone informed over the next few months as to how well the fix has worked.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 PM

my prob to a tee

Anyone ever resolve this? I have the same problem. 8 codes (erased) I'll get 'em next time. just remember p0700 was one...
BTW this is my first post...whooooohooooo

Last edited by sbrice54; 07-19-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

Unfortunately the OP in this thread hasn't had any forum activity in over a year, so we might never get an update.

Your best bet is having your codes pulled once it sets a CEL, then starting a new thread with the code numbers, then you'll get more feedback and input.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM

thanks

Okay, thanks. I have my own reader and will post the codes when it happens again. Tells me the moderators care..lol.. I hope to be an asset to this forum as i am retired and have nothing else to do...

steve
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Deceased

When you get a chance, pop over to "Introductions" and tell us about yourself and your HHR, and never hesitate to ask questions. We're family here, and we welcome your contributions.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 AM

If you look at the wiring harness next to the oil filter you will notice that at least one of the pigtails that comes off it is very tight. I put a tiewrap around it to hang it up on the EGR vent solenoid (not the correct name) to relieve some tension. There is also a history of the harness connector for the Trans Control Module (it lives under the Darth Vader hood) getting stressed out, I think that's what was going on with the TCC codes in this case.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 PM

codes set

p0700 and p0742 set today. Car was sitting outside in 88 degree weather so the inside was 1000 degrees...lol