Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 Stock Radio Operation

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM

Smile 2006 Stock Radio Operation

This AM I started the car with the remote fob, no problems. Tonight after work I started it with the remote again, let her run to warm up a bit. Got in and put the key in to keep it running. While I was cleaning snow off the hood & windows I got back in and there was no radio ?????
I shut it off and restarted it with the key and still no radio ?? everything else is working just fine? About two weeks ago I had to put a charger on the battery because I left the head lights on for about 6 hours before I seen them on ?? Now no radio, I was told I can remove the battery cable for several minutes and reinstall it to reprogram the radio anti theft system ?? Is this true ?? or am I waisting my time ??
2006 2 LT Thanks for any help
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

If you are ABSOLUTELY SURE everything else is working properly, I would probably start by looking at the fuses for the radio system.

In my 2006, the #6 fuse in the floor console fuse box is for the amplifier. And also check the #23 fuse in the underhood fuse box. It's listed as a radio fuse.

Both fuses boxes have a diagram for located the correct fuse. Also your Owners Book has a diagram......or you can search the online Owners Manuals in the General section of this forum.

If both of these are proved to be good, then I would check for a loose harness connection. In any event, assure electrical power is readily supplied to the system. Then work from there. JMO but if the use of a charger was to cause a problem, it probably would have occurred instantly....not 2 weeks later. My 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM

i would ask are you 100% sure that you put the key in after the auto start? With the auto start the radio won't be running and I often forget to put my key in after i get in (i hop in the seat, and try to shift, no go). Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

twistrman raises an interesting issue regarding the radio and autostart, and I have, many times, done what he suggested. But I can only assume when you started the second time with the key, the radio was turned on.....so that would eliminate that resolution.

Be interested in knowing what IS the problem/fault.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Do you have radio controls on the steering wheel, and maybe hit the mute button by mistake? I do it more times than I'd like to admit. WAIT just did that.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Smile Thank's To All Who Answered

I'll start with the key, yes I insereted the key in switch.

Yes everything else on the dash / car works fine .

I have checked both fuses with a test light and by eye site to be sure there is power on both sides.

I have repeatedly worked all the buttons, wheel and radio face.

I have also removed the front most console piece & window switch cover and looked around for any lose connection's ?

Wed. it's going to be near 40* here so I'm planning on try the battery cable fix ??? Keep your finger crossed.

Many Thank's Again for your ideas.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Smile RE: Radio Fix

OK, it got up to 40 today so I took advantage of the heat wave. After getting to the battery cables I took the negitive cable bolt out and set the cable aside.
While waited the five minutes I located the tester and a flash light for the next step of testing the fuses.

Ok five minutes are up and I put the cable back on the battery, I then went up and inserted the key, to my surprize the radio was playing again. So I went on to replacing both fuse box covers. After putting the tools back in the box I went for a short ride just to be sure the radio would stay working. to haveing toons once again......