Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 cooling fan air direction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
As Steve asked, what is the coolant temperature? Thermostat does not cause overheating.
Whaaaaaaaaaaat. THE THERMOSTAT ABSOLUTELY CAN AND DOES CAUSE OVERHEATING!

As for the temperature of the coolant I don't let it get as hot as it can cause I don't want to cause more problems so I shut the car off after it gets passed 220° my car even after driving for an hour on the freeway in 100° weather has never been over 220°
Old 07-27-2023, 10:50 PM

The t-stats purpose is to keep the temperature ABOVE 180F. It is the radiator and fans job to keep it below 220F.
The t-stat cannot cause overheating, unless something interferes with physics and the wax inside doesn't melt at 180F.

The t-stat opens at 180F, the fan turns on at about 219F (or when the AC compressor is on it is always on) then turns off when the temp is back down to 180F and the t-stat closes .
229F is NOT overheating, 225F IS overheating, which is why I asked what you mean by "overheating".

The usually cause of T-stat failure is a piece of rubber gasket from the cheap parts gets stuck in the t-stat valve holding it open so that the engine does not get to 180F in a timely fashion and at highway speeds igets below 180F.

Please explain the physics behind your shouted response. How can it cause overheating when its job is to keep the coolant hot?
Old 07-27-2023, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The t-stats purpose is to keep the temperature ABOVE 180F. It is the radiator and fans job to keep it below 220F.
The t-stat cannot cause overheating, unless something interferes with physics and the wax inside doesn't melt at 180F.

The t-stat opens at 180F, the fan turns on at about 219F (or when the AC compressor is on it is always on) then turns off when the temp is back down to 180F and the t-stat closes .
229F is NOT overheating, 225F IS overheating, which is why I asked what you mean by "overheating".

The usually cause of T-stat failure is a piece of rubber gasket from the cheap parts gets stuck in the t-stat valve holding it open so that the engine does not get to 180F in a timely fashion and at highway speeds igets below 180F.

Please explain the physics behind your shouted response. How can it cause overheating when its job is to keep the coolant hot?
Damn! I stand corrected. I'll just have seat over here,,........,.,............
(Me raising my hand) professor DonBrew sir I'm still very confused how is 229 not overheating but 225 is?

Well I jumped the gun and went out and bought a new thermostat. And now I'm worried about air in the system because all that I've read is you have to turn the heater on which with my car is impossible because the blend door is broke and so is the shaft part that the actuator would turn.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Just burp the coolant system

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-system-60614/
Old 07-28-2023, 08:16 AM

Fat fingers meant 220F.
Turning the heat on is a left over thing from the 60's when the heat control was a valve in the coolant hose. The HHR heater core is always hot.
If you got something other than ACDelco 131-158 it will probably fail open in short order. There are a lot that "fit" or "like" or "replaces" they all ha a rubber gasket that falls off and jams the valve open.
Old 07-28-2023, 12:07 PM

Most of the cases of mild overheating that I've encountered, including mine, were due to air in the system. But yes, thermostat that doesn't fully open can cause overheating.

Both my 2.2 LS and 2.0 SS hover very close to 190F, even in hot wether. Both cars needed some effort and then patience to get rid of the last bit of air. Both of them have made excursions into the 210's, and both were cure with obsessively getting rid of the air. Keep in mind that there might be a bit of outgassing of the coolant. Gasses are soluble in liquids to various degrees, The last little bit of air, or maybe more precisely, gas, is expelled into the coolandt recovery tank, and replaced with tank contents, due to the heating and cooling from drive cycles. So any time the pressure cap has been off, keep and eye on the coolant recover tank for awhile.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:55 AM

Ok so after all my trouble.......this could have been avoided it I had just did the proper diagnosis. I am sooooo stupid..... Long story short. The fan blades that broke, put small holes into the radiator that was the issue.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:35 AM
Administrator

A new radiator, fan assembly and fresh Dexcool, it’s all good
Old 07-31-2023, 07:06 AM

I must say I'm rather surprised that you HHR guys seem to think a thermostat can't cause overheating. If that thing does not open it will overheat. I'm amazed.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Not that it can’t. It’s the fact that no one has seen a HHR thermostat stuck in the closed position. Or that we’ve ever heard of on this site.
HHR thermostat failures are almost always because of the rubber gasket tearing loose and jamming the stat open.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 07-31-2023 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 cooling fan air direction?