Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 LS Overheating - Diagnosis help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Mine was leaking thru a crack in the pressure cap tee, no evidence on the garage floor! I replaced it with an aluminum pressure tee
Old 03-03-2024, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback about the leaks (and lack of evidence therof). I placed a sheet of cardboard under it after the last test drive and no evidence of leaks, but obviously the coolant is going somewhere.
I think the recovery tank was completely empty the first time I refilled it. Since then it hasn't changed, but when I open the pressure cap, I always have to add more coolant to get it to be visible at the opening. I have been looking for an excuse to buy a set of Rhino ramps, so they will be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday and that should help with the burping.
I might have to get a coolant system pressure test kit from AutoZone through their "rent a tool" program if I can't find the leak this way.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

I hope you’re not “filling “ the recovery tank all the way to the top. Your word was refill.
The Full mark on the tank is way down near the bottom. Hard to see.
If you did fill it to the top it will not cycle coolant between the radiator and recovery tank.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:44 PM

The tank level is supposed to increase when the engine is hot and decrease when it cools down. If it is over filled the pressure cannot be overcome. The pressure cap can wear out, wise to replace it.
Coolant can disappear via a bad head gasket, look for steam cleaned spark plugs or orange spark plug ceramic (if you are using DexCool). DexCool has a life of 5 years regardless of miles.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I hope you’re not “filling “ the recovery tank all the way to the top. Your word was refill.
The Full mark on the tank is way down near the bottom. Hard to see.
If you did fill it to the top it will not cycle coolant between the radiator and recovery tank.
No, I filled it to the line. I checked a YouTube video that showed where it was since it's not intuitive and the manual isn't the best pic.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Burping is important!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-system-60614/

The cooling system

Burp the system, easy peasy! Front bumper higher then the rear bumper a floor jack under the right front so the filler neck is higher then the rest , fill the filler neck while cold!
Old 03-04-2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The tank level is supposed to increase when the engine is hot and decrease when it cools down. If it is over filled the pressure cannot be overcome. The pressure cap can wear out, wise to replace it.
Coolant can disappear via a bad head gasket, look for steam cleaned spark plugs or orange spark plug ceramic (if you are using DexCool). DexCool has a life of 5 years regardless of miles.
I don't remember the last time it had a flush and fill, but it is definitely over five years.
I will probably get a new cap, just in case. Would a Duralast cap be an ok replacement? Or should I wait on a Delco?
Old 03-04-2024, 03:25 PM

I don't think brand makes much difference. It might be a good idea to get a metal tee with a metal cap, as Oldblue suggests.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Thank you, Donbrew.

amazon apparently has them 1 1/4 inch is the size

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/wel...t-filler-neck/
Old 03-05-2024, 09:15 AM

I finally got around to installing the one I got on eBay. Not happy. The nipple to the coolant recovery tank was not welded. It's a threaded nipple. I put Teflon tape on it, but when you thread it in far enough to not leak, it interferes with installing the pressure cap. I'll have to rework it, try to get it to not leak.

Just a heads up, maybe some sellers have them welded.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS Overheating - Diagnosis help?