Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 SS dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM

2008 SS dies

I have a 2008 SS with 24000 on it and for awhile now it just dies for no reason, it always starts back up, sometimes it might be 30 minutes, sometimes it might take hours, it has been to the shop 3 times and they tell me they cant find anything wrong with it, they said its not showing any codes and doesn't die on them.Has anyone had similar problems, or maybe know something that i can do, as this is getting very frustrating. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
ecl

I read some where to make sure the under the hood fuse are all set good. They tend to come loose and may shut the car down. Mine been loose every few months but never had a problem with it shutting down. Not sure if thats the issue but worth checking out.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Sounds like it might be something related to temperature. Maybe a circuit breaker overheating and cooling down.

Will the engine crank when you try to start it? If it cranks but won't start, I'd suspect a fuel pump or relay. Check fuel pressure when it won't start. You can make a jumper wire to bypass the relay. Fuel pumps are put in the tank so they can use the fuel for cooling. If you run with low fuel levels in warm weather the pump might stop. It could be an electrical problem like a crank sensor preventing the ignition from providing spark and the injectors firing but that should set a code.

If it won't crank, it has to be an electrical problem like an ignition switch or relay. It could possibly be the computer but that would be the last place I would look.

To find these kind of problems you need someone with the diagrams and understanding of the system to find what can cause the problem without setting an error code.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Had a similar issue....but mine was the clutch sensor. Would just die....wouldn't always restart though...had it towed once.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Mine is a auto, but yes when it dies it will crank over and over and over, but wont start.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

I was looking at an 08 for sale friday that was a GM buyback for a no start issue. Not sure if it is the same thing or not for you. But from the info I found they dealership couldn't find a problem to fix.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Mine started stalling intermittantly just off idle as you let the clutch out. It always seems to do it right in the middle of an intersection....not cool! It's very random, always fires right back up and runs well other than that. My local dealer has it now. We'll see what they come up with (probably nothing I'd bet).
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 AM

Probably a Relay. My Horn Relay went recently, see my post, intermittent and seeming heat related issue. I am sure if loose the Vibration can factor in too.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by onebadcbr929
I have a 2008 SS with 24000 on it and for awhile now it just dies for no reason, it always starts back up, sometimes it might be 30 minutes, sometimes it might take hours, it has been to the shop 3 times and they tell me they cant find anything wrong with it, they said its not showing any codes and doesn't die on them.Has anyone had similar problems, or maybe know something that i can do, as this is getting very frustrating. Thanks.
My 2008 SS died a couple of months ago in OH on my way back from visiting family. It just cut off on I-75 at 70 MPH. The dealer mentioned a TSB for loose PCM connections causing intermittent no start. Mine ended up being a bad PCM likely from arcing caused by the loose connection over time. They should test terminal tension at the connector and apply some dielectric grease to prevent any future fretting.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM

My 09 just died today, no reason, just shut off and the oil light was on. Tried to restart it and it was really hard starting, took a few seconds of cranking, and when it finally came on it is now running rough and idling weird, but no lights (oil, CEL, whatever) or fluids under the car. Probably going to take it in tomorrow if it runs well enough to get it there.

1 thing I was wondering was the possibility of bad gas or something in the gas. I am down to about 1/8 tank right now.

Quick Reply: 2008 SS dies