Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2009 HHR with 0420 and trims looking lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Captron

ps....i just recieved a safety recall notice on this vehicle, for the ignition switch 2 days ago.....something about key could shut off car in motion and render the airbags inoperable while you proceed with crashing into something without power.
Oh. You mean that HUGE recall from GM that was plastered all over the news several years ago.
Yes, most are aware of it and most had the recall work done several years back.

Not sure why you would have just received this notice since the recall campaign notification was so long ago. California's postal workers must really be slow on deliveries.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Oh. You mean that HUGE recall from GM that was plastered all over the news several years ago.
Yes, most are aware of it and most had the recall work done several years back.

Not sure why you would have just received this notice since the recall campaign notification was years ago.
Probably a new owner, GM is just now catching up with him.

Threads merged.

Captron, like donbrew said before, a new flex pipe might cure the P0420 if you're lucky. But if it doesn't, you'll still need a new cat. You will have gone to this trouble and expense for nothing. Well, maybe not for nothing. You'll see that you can get the cat separately. That means, cutting, fitting, welding, might not be a DIY project. Check out these links, call them if you need to check for CARB compliance. I chose 2.2 engine, didn't know what you have.

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/exh...nless-downpipe
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending
https://www.carid.com/2009-chevy-hhr-performance-catalytic-converters/?filter=1&sub-model[Liter][]=2.2L
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM

flex pipe

not sure where my thread about 2009 catalytic went, but it has vanished from forum that I can tell. Anyway, how is the flex pipe typically connected to the cat? Looking at mine, I can easily see the 3 bolt flange at the top but I don't see anything but pipe going into the cat. ??
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Administrator

It’s welded into the pipe
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Threads merged, trying to keep this in one thread so questions don't have to be answered again.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:15 PM

catalytic 2009 hhr

Wow...what the heck is going on? I am posting threads and getting email notifications of replies but when I click on link to go back to forum thread, my threads are not there and not appearing in my recent posts either. makes it hard to work with.
anyway, I've been asking about my 2009 issue with louder than usual exhaust and either flex pipe issue and/or cat issue. From responses I have learned that because its a california car, I can't just replace with a bolt on cat assembly from ebay for $120. that would be too easy. So next I learned that replacing the flex pipe by itself isnt really a do it yourself job either unless I am a welder (I am not) because the flex pipe is welded into the cat. I'm in a mousetrap. So to replace the entire bolt on cat assembly with carb rated california unit, the prices are ranging between $500-$700ish just for the part. My car has flange bolted flex pipe to manifold to straight pipe down into the cat and then from the first chamber looking thing that I assume is the cat, it goes a couple of feet and enters another chamber of some sort before proceeding along a snake like path to the muffler and out the back. The whole thing is suspended on each end by a rubber hanger. So.......excuse my ignorance but what is that 2nd chamber thingamabob that is between what I call the cat and the muffler?
and what are suggestions for a diy remedy on this one? I guess I can unbolt the y pipe, remove the o2 sensors and drop the assembly out of the car and take to a buddy's house with a welder and cut off and weld a new flex pipe only. but seems like a of work to risk finding out the cat is bad after all. But the expense of the entire carb rated assembly is a deal killer for me. ideas??

and again...what the heck is going on with my threads?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM

I was looking at the wrong year, for 2009 NU5 means C.A.R.B. So that vehicle needs a Cal. cat no matter what state it happens to be in.

See post #2 & #3 in this merged thread.

#3 shows the complete pipe with the cat, yours may have 2 cats.

#2 shows the replacement flex pipe, You cut the old part off and either weld the new on or use a clamp.

I am surprised that you could have been conscious for the last 3 years and been unaware of the ignition recall, 5 people died in Cobalts.

Maybe you should check for other recalls on your vehicle. Here is a link https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/
Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Threads merged again... I have left an expiring redirect since you can't seem to find your own posts. Hopefully this will help you.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:22 PM

ok, understand now. thanks.

my son welds so perhaps I just buy the flex pipe, and drop the assembly out and take it to his house and have him cut off and replace flex pipe. Symptom is louder than normal exhaust which I have previously experienced in other cars as an exhaust leak. Don sort of quickly responded that this is a fairly common I guess flex pipe issue so perhaps even though a bit of labor gamble, its worth a shot.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Have you even got under there and looked ? Yes, flexpipe failure is a common problem but why gamble. There are other parts of the exhaust that could be the issue.
I would want to confirm it's the flexpipe before buying parts and disassemble.

Quick Reply: 2009 HHR with 0420 and trims looking lean