Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2009 HHR - no shift out of 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 09:00 PM

2009 HHR - no shift out of 2nd gear

I bought a 2009 HHR with a know transmission issue. The issue is that it will not shift from 2nd to 3rd. I thought that it might be the 2-3 solenoid. Car starts good and is in good shape overall, so I took a chance on it. Today I started trying to determine if the solenoid is bad. I got a wiring diagram and started testing. I ohmed the 2-3 and 1-2 solenoids, They checked 20.5ohms. Next I tested for voltage between the fuse and pins 2 and pin 20 on the TCM connector. Got 12 volts on each pin.
The last test I did was to turn the ignition switch to ON and ground pins 1 and then pin 20 just to see if I could hear the solenoids "click". I could hear both of them click ON, but the 2-3 solenoid was not as loud as 1-2 seemed to be.

I am about to tear into the trans and replace the 2-3 solenoid, but I am not 100% confident that the solenoid is the issue. I know that just because I can hear the solenoid "click" doesn't mean that it is shifting and could indeed be my problem.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2021, 09:23 PM

Another question. I have been reading where others have done this repair by dropping the cradle (while supporting the motor) just to get enough room to get to the solenoids. I thought the whole reason for this was because there was not enough room between the cradle and the transmission cover bolts. From what I can see on mine is there seems to be enough room to get all the bolts out. The one that is the closest is the one on the bottom corner closest to the firewall. It would be great if I did not have to drop the cradle and I could remove the cover. Unless the bolt is really long, I think I should have enough room to do it. I made a picture from underneath of the bolt in question. Does this look like I have enough room or is this the problem that everyone else has doing this job? The bolt head is just to the left of my finger.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2021, 09:49 PM

Once you get the cover off how are you going to get to the solenoids? Very tiny hands and an extra joint in your forearm?
That's why.
You didn't mention if there are any codes.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:02 PM

I thought once the cover was off, I could access the solenoids. I have not checked for the codes yet. I did not have a scanner with me today.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:36 AM
Administrator

As fastsuv explains, you have to drop the cradle to drop the transmission, for room to remove the side pan. There’s photos in this thread

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/driv...d-61313/page3/
Old 12-23-2021, 08:39 PM

Got a chance to work on the HHR today. First thing I did was check for the trans codes. No pending codes. No stored codes. No permanent codes. That really confused me, but somewhat agreed with the other tests that I did yesterday. When I bought this car, I never drove it. The owner just told me that it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and I took their word for it. Took a chance and bought it for what they were asking. So today, I took it for a spin and it shifted from 2nd to 3rd (WOW, I thought). But I could hear a roaring noise that was getting louder and louder as I accelerated. I let my foot off the gas and threw it in neutral and the roaring was still there. I eventually figured out that it was a hub bearing assembly. Telll tale sign was the roar would quieten when I swerved from side-to-side. It sounded to me like the sound was the loudest on the driver side. So I pulled off that hub and spun it. Sure enough, I could clearly hear the bearing noise.

Doesn't look like I will be changing the solenoids (for now anyways), but I will be doing a fluid and filter change tomorrow. Not sure if it has ever been changed but at 203k, I would say its time.

I have other systems that need addressing too. Traction control, ABS and brake light is ON. No Check Engine codes though.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:04 AM
Administrator

The TC and ABS light , could be from the hubs. Replace both sides, they like to fail in pairs!