Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2009 HHR Overhead Console

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:21 PM

2009 HHR Overhead Console

Hey all! New to this forum. Hopefully I can find some help here. I have a 2009 HHR with a sunroof I picked up about a year ago. The roof liner in the front of the sunroof won't stay up anymore. There's something in there that just won't hold it up where it should be and it rattles and annoys the hell out of me. Does anyone know how to get the overhead console cover with the 2 lights and the sunroof switches off? I'd like to see if there's a way to put a screw or a small nut and bolt up through it to hold the roof liner up in place where it should be. Replace the cover and all is hidden. I've been searching for days for anything that would be remotely helpful, including this site, but can't seem to find any reference to this problem anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help here.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Drop the head liner, remove the sun visors, the coat hooks
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...-hanger-61084/
then the shoulder harnesses

lower the headliner slowly, note post #7

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...adliner-22782/
Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Nothing really holds it up except the sides where the windshield garnish molding hold it up. It is stiff cardboard.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Yes those windshield pillar garnish mouldings, and the 3 sun visor pivot bolts and 1 the clip bolt for each visor

It appears the light fixture is magnetic, no bolts or screws hold it up there just magnetic field

I’ve marked them with red arrows

Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Tried to blow it up Don. Got a little fuzzy.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Administrator

It blowed up real good!! Not like this , but real good!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies, Oldblue, donbrew and firemangeorge. In the pictures #1, the sunroof switch bezel, does that just pull down, if so how, or is there screws and stuff holding it up I need to know about? That's where I've been apprehensive to just try pulling on it. Don't want to break it trying to get it off.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:51 AM

our 2010 has what looks like a type of velcro in front of the light switch that helps hold up the liner
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 AM

In my 2008 there's two velcro strips holding up the head liner (one on each side of the sun roof switch). The lower part of the strip is glued to the head liner with hot glue. The upper part of the strip is held to the roof with double-sided tape if I remember correctly. If you fully open the sunroof, you should be able to peek into the narrow opening between the head liner and the roof (a small torch helps) and see the velcro strips. Most likely they are loose.

To be able to reasonably work on them strips, you may remove the A-pillar mouldings, the three sun visor pivot bolts and the clip bolt for each visor (as already mentioned by Oldblue) to lower the head liner a bit.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:29 AM

SwissHHR and extanker, yes there is some kind of weird pseudo velcro stuff up in there right in the middle roof liner in front of the sunroof opening. That's what's not working anymore. If I push it back together it holds for about 5 seconds and then pops back loose. I tried to explain that in my OP, but i guess I didn't do such a good job of it. I need to know how to get the sunroof switch / light bezel off. I'd like to see if I can hide a small sheet metal screw or a small nut and bolt under it just to "help" hold up the roof liner. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Quick Reply: 2009 HHR Overhead Console