Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2009 Ignition Stuck In ON

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM

2009 Ignition Stuck In ON

I just want to be sure by grabbing feedback on if it's the cylinder or shift gear.

My ignition is stuck in the ON position. I can put my car in park, remove my key and pull the fuse off the positive terminal at the battery to stop the car, but I cannot power off the car since I cannot turn the key to the off position. Additionally, I can put my key back in and turn the cylinder to start the car.

The "button" in the steering column is already depressed and remains such with or without the key.

I'm thinking it's more cylinder than gear shaft, but what do y'all think?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Founding Member

Did you get a letter about the special coverage of the ignition lock cylinder or a recall letter?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Founding Member

Try this link;

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ge=17&post#163

You can send me a PM with your last of the VIN and I can tell you which applies.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM

No, I never got anything.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM

I just called my dealer and I'm part of the recall. I have an appointment on Thursday. Thank you ChevyMgr for pointing me in the right direction (and saving me money/time too).
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Founding Member

Sweet.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM

2009 HHR 2LT

I got my letter back in May.Have not had any problems but after reading all these posts I thought I'd better bring it in to get fixed before I end up getting stuck somewhere.So I went today to make an appointment.

My local Chevy dealer which was just 2 miles from my house suddenly closed down about 2 weeks ago.I was shocked.They have been there forever.I have been taking my cars there for service for about 20 years.So now I have to go to another Chevy dealership for service.Went today to another Chevy dealer to make an appointment.They can take me next Monday.Hope they are good.I asked the service advisor if they have the part(lock cylinder) in stock.Without even checking he said"Oh yes we have the part,this is a recall".Hope he is right.

For those of you who had it fixed did your dealership have the part in stock?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM

@Talei, I'm glad you were able to find out your vehicle is covered under the program we have in place. Please, let me know how things go at the dealership tomorrow.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM

I received a shiny new ignition cylinder and I can finally turn off my car.

I'm curious, is there something I should do, or write to, in order to receive notifications about my car?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by hozer
2009 HHR 2LT

I got my letter back in May.Have not had any problems but after reading all these posts I thought I'd better bring it in to get fixed before I end up getting stuck somewhere.So I went today to make an appointment.

My local Chevy dealer which was just 2 miles from my house suddenly closed down about 2 weeks ago.I was shocked.They have been there forever.I have been taking my cars there for service for about 20 years.So now I have to go to another Chevy dealership for service.Went today to another Chevy dealer to make an appointment.They can take me next Monday.Hope they are good.I asked the service advisor if they have the part(lock cylinder) in stock.Without even checking he said"Oh yes we have the part,this is a recall".Hope he is right.

For those of you who had it fixed did your dealership have the part in stock?
Had my lock cylinder replaced today.Did not get new keys as some people on here had mentioned they have.Everything seems to be working fine(for now).

Had to try a new dealership since mine closed.They gave me an appointment for 7:30 but when I got there they told me the mechanics don't come in until 8:00.Thought that while I was to be taken first I might as well get an oil change+tire rotation just to get it out of the way.Waited about 2 1/2 hours for them to finish!People that came after me were leaving before me.I bet they did not have the cylinder in stock and had to run and get it from another dealer.Just my guess.I'll try the other 2 dealerships in my area the next couple of times and then decide which one I will stick with.

Also while waiting I was walking around the lot looking at all the new Chevy's.And what I came to notice is that Chevy has some very boring and plain cars and trucks(except for the Corvette).The Camaro is somewhat ok.I'll take the Challenger or Mustang before it though.

Sorry to get off topic

Quick Reply: 2009 Ignition Stuck In ON