Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2010 HHR abs big problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 PM

2010 HHR abs big problem.

Right front brakes grabbing then releasing. Stop car, take off accelerate up to about 30 right front brake starts grabbing again. Made it home, and figured out which fuse operated the ABS system. Pulled the fuse. Drives fine no brakes grabbing. But of course all lights are on the Dash. Took it to the local mechanic and his scan tool says the sensors are bad on the two rear wheels. I decided to change them myself. ordered parts and and replace the two rear sensors bearings.. put fuse back in same thing right front wheel grabbing. So I ordered the front 2 bearings and sensors. Replace the front 2, put it back together, put the fuse back in. Bam same problem right front brake grabbing. I guess next move will be ABS control module. Didn't mind replacing bearings at a hundred and ten thousand, plus I did the brakes while I had it apart. But it's a pain that it didn't fix the problem. Any thoughts thank you
Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 PM
Technical Moderator

Does the ABS or ESC warning come on? Did this start after something happened? Which fuse are you pulling? Is the steering wheel off center?
Old 03-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I suggest if there are no other MIL lights or codes preform a battery lobotomy,
Disconnect the negative cable at the battery, for a full 30 minutes and don’t close the hatch!!
If the brakes do that same thing , then investigate the ABS harness for loose , dirty connections
Old 03-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Abs

There's a little 5 amp fuse in the fuse box that controls the ABS system. I've been driving it for eight or nine months without the fuse in. everything works fine it's just the lights are on, on the dashboard. And of course you don't have ABS brakes system. But I am old and in no rush so it don't bother me LOL.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, however disabling the ABS is an unsafe practice, and I don’t even want to go into your legal liabilities, if you were to be involved in a collision.
Your insurance company will abandon you, but you’re old, so must have some cash squirrelled away for just such an emergency!

Get it repaired, correctly, please.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tiedupgood
it's just the lights are on, on the dashboard.
What lights ?
What codes do you have when you reinstall the 5 amp fuse ? You have to have some with the ABS out of whack.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Technical Moderator

I care less than you. I asked 4 relevant questions and got half an answer to one.

Find a mechanic that knows what they are doing. Or just keep throwing parts at it, maybe one will stick.

There are 3 fuses for the ABS on the underhood fuse box, none are "little 5 amp". #44 is either 30A or 40A depending on your options, #57 is 10A, #61 is 20A.

The ONLY 5A fuse is for the outside mirrors. I don't know what that would have to do with the ABS.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what they all said - and plugging in a code reader that will interpret ABS codes/problems would definitely help. A basic code reader will not likely read the ABS codes.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:31 AM

ABS problems big time

This is complicated. Right front brake was grabbing at 25 miles an hour. Slow down all the lights would go out. Speed up and about 25 miles an hour the right front caliper would grab and let loose grab and let loose, could not drive the car. Right front brakes Or grabbing at 25 miles an hour. Slow down all the lights would go out. speed up and about 25 miles an hour the brake would grab again . A local shop scanned it and said the left rear sensor was bad. Replace both sensors on the rear. Same problem at 25 front rear caliper grabbing let loose grabbing let loose. Remove fuse so I could drive it. With a hundred and ten thousand miles on it. Went ahead and replaced the front sensors and brakes all the way around. Same problem at 25 front ight caliper grabbing that lose grabbing let loose. Remove fuse so I could drive it. with a hundred ten thousand miles on it. when ahead and replace the front sensors and brakes all the way around. put fuse back same thing front right caliper grabbing letting loose grabbing letting loose. Remove fuse been driving it for a while. But I need to get it fixed. Any thoughts, hoping it just needs reprogrammed at the dealer. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Tiedupgood; 12-24-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 12-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm. Same issue you had about a year ago ? Why didn't you follow up on that thread you started ?
Here's that thread: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...problem-61564/

Quick Reply: 2010 HHR abs big problem.