Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2010 hhr goes forward in all gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

2010 hhr goes forward in all gears

I have just completed replacing shift solenoids on my 2010 HHR. I now have a transmission that wants to go forward in all shift positions including park. In park when I rev up the engine it maxes out at 3000 rpm and seem to be under load. It shifted fine before repair. I had the P0700 and P0756 codes. I decided to replace the pressure switch manifold, pressure control solenoid, and both shift solenoids. I also replaced the trans pan and filter. I have checked all of my external connections and fluid level. Also checked the PNP switch and it seems to be in line. I did not loosen this when I did the transmission, only took the nut on the control arm off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

It’s just in gear and not changing with the shifter.
Sounds like the shifter cable is loose at the trans. Verify that it is moving the linkage at the trans when moving the shifter. ( you’ll need a helper)
If it’s working OK on the outside, then it’s an internal problem. Recheck your work.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

The shift control arm moves as it should. I placed a wrench on the shift knob with the control arm disconnected and manually move through all 5 positions. What would be inside to look at.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:23 AM

Park is a physical pawl that locks the gears. So, I'm thinking something attached to the cable needs adjusting. Maybe the park rod didn't get reconnected.

Old 12-10-2023, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Talked with old blue also and he thought maybe the PNP switch but doesn’t that only lock the park or does it also shift gears? The car in park will not move but if I rev the engine it seems to want to but can’t. Also the rpm will no go over 3000.
the connector you sent was under the valve cover correct? I did not remove that.
i moved the transmission shift knob with a wrench through all the gears and seemed to move fine.
there was a guy that had a quick post with this issue two years ago. It was not addressed as he was part of another post. I did message him, he has messages afterwards about other issues so he must have fixed. I will post more as I find answers.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:31 PM

Please stop asking if people solved their unrelated problems in dead threads. It is very unlikely that any will answer. Most of them are related to the transfer tubes breaking, which results in forward only no reverse. That is in the pan, those 2 tubes.

So now your symptoms have changed? No reverse, only forward and park does lock the trans. Started out all positions caused forward.
Have you examined both ends of the electrical connections? Pins sometimes get bent or pushed out the back. I am leaning towards a wire problem, either internal or external.
The P/N switch tells the computer what position the gear selector is in. Then it tells the TCM what to do.
Is the CheckEngineLight on? What codes if it is.
When you moved the lever did the gears change as expected?
The computer thinks the trans is in neutral, that turns the RPM limiter on thus 3000 RPM max.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Sorry. I did not think about what happens when replying to old threads. Both the post talked about forward motion while in reverse.
just trying to get fixed.
My symptoms have not changed.
I have just completed replacing shift solenoids on my 2010 HHR. I now have a transmission that wants to go forward in all shift positions P N D 1 2. In park when I rev up the engine it maxes out at 3000 rpm and seem to be under load.
Just trying to get some info on if I should drop the pan and check the tubes or open the side again.
does the PNP switch control R N D 1 2.
I appreciate all the help and do not want to cause any headaches. Thanks Daniel
Old 12-10-2023, 03:45 PM

it goes forward in R and park and neutral? That would be all positions. What exactly does "wants to" mean, does it move or not? Wheels on the ground? Parking brake released?
I would check any electrical connection that was disturbed for bent or pushed back pins. Check all wires for kinks frays etc.
When you move the lever on the trans do the gears change as expected?
The RPM is limited when in neutral/park.

Sounds like you are tired and frustrated and not thinking right. Relax, have a homebrew then retrace your steps.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I suggest you inspect your work, as Donbrew states and see if you missed a ground wire or the TCM connection. Tighten those four bolts in the fuse box good and tight? Push in all the fuses and relays. If there’s no reverse, time to inspect the fluid transfer tubes up above the transmission fluid filter

They look like this and can crack at the welds , allowing fluid out
Old 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

You are correct this car has me crazy. As it is my god sons car and he has no money so I have taken on both the financial and mechanical responsibilities.
In P the vehicle is locked and cannot move but it feels like wants to. In R N D 1 L it will drive forward. I am in a heated shed so I drive forward then push it backwards. I have about 15 feet. Shut the car off. Then I shift the car into any position other than P and push the car to move it. If the car is in R D1L should I be able to move it easily? Thanks for your help we will get it figured out.

Quick Reply: 2010 hhr goes forward in all gears