Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2011 HHR drivers airbag replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 PM

2011 HHR drivers airbag replacement question

New to site, first post. Just bought a wrecked 2011 HHR 1LT for my son. The drivers airbag and both seatbelts went off. When I had the car looked at by the bodyman I use he said it was a good buy because the impact to the front was very light and the car was not a total/salvage title. So that I may be better informed can someone help me with the process of replacing this system and the parts I will need to purchase. I see on ebay many airbags (used) listed for HHR/Colbalt but not sure what years will interchange with this 2011. Where and what is the "impact sensor and clock spring" and will these need to be replaced? The interior color is Ebony.

Thanks in advance

Kent
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Welcome! Hope you find the info you need here. I am sorry I can not be of much help, as I am not HHR mod savvy..
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 PM
geg

You need:
1 Airbags - All that open. (Unopened bags left in their places).
2. Seat belts. Cutter is located inside the belt's mechanism - he shot and jammed the belt. Check front and rear seat belts.
3. Airbag control module. It is located inside the console, the console between the front seats near the parking brake. The module needs to be replaced, but it is expensive. It is possible to reprogram - look myairbag.com.

First, find the control modul in the car and pull it out. Read the part's number - this characterizes the entire set of airbags.
Sensors strike probably will not break. Do not buy them at once.
Maybe you need the yellow connectors, it connects the harness to the control module. Connector is not destroyed during the accident, but during the dismantling of the seat belt is easy to break (brittle).

On E-BAY and Car disassembly are sometimes sold auto parts kits. There is a full kit of airbags + control module. It's cheaper than buying separately. The main thing - the correct part's number of the control module. Safety belts can also be bought in kit (sometimes the same seller).

Good luck
Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

Don't take this wrong,but if you have to ask about what and where these parts are, then don't attempt this repair yourself. Working on the airbag system can be very dangerous! There is the possibility of serious injury or even death. Be safe and let someone who is trained and/or certified attempt this repair.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Deceased

X 2, airbags and their systems aren't for DIY-ers, you can be seriously injured or killed if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

Gather up the parts if you wish, but have the work done by a professional please.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
X 2, airbags and their systems aren't for DIY-ers, you can be seriously injured or killed if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

Gather up the parts if you wish, but have the work done by a professional please.
Absolutely good advice!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Many states require testing and recertification of the air bag system before the vehicle can be registered on vehicles that have had them deployed and replaced. If you bought it wrecked, as you said, how is it not at least a salvage title?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Absolutely good advice!!!
Using a phone to reply so can't reply well. Thanks for the heads up on the Danger of the Safty System. Sound kinda funny that they make a airbag to save you in a crash that has the potential to kill.
I will have the expert do the work but as I stated I wanted information so I better understood what was involved and what parts will have to be replaced and what models interchange.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM

The Feds are trying to kill us! They mandate that every car must have multiple bombs on board. The airbags are operated by explosives, that is the danger that people talk about. In theory it is difficult to accidentally set one off while servicing,... but then, Wiley Coyote always handled his Acme bombs properly.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM

If I bought a car for my daughter, I would want the airbags serviced by the most experienced person I could find. It does not sound like a good DIY project unless I was fixing the car for myself and no other driver.

Quick Reply: 2011 HHR drivers airbag replacement question