Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ac blower motor not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Ac blower motor not blowing

Hi there this is my first post on the forum! Ive been snooping around the forum for a solution to this problem and I still have not solved it. My blower motor works when it wants to I changed the relay and the resistor before(~6 months) taking it to an electrical shop. They fixed a short supposedly and replaced the blower motor resistor again and stated that I needed a new climate control knob which lets you choose the fan speed. They went to the junkyard and got one and didn't charge me for replacing the part however I did pay for the resistor and the fixing of the short the car had. Now the blower motor was working when it wants to and yesterday did not work at all I would have to wiggle the relay on the passenger side to get some air to blow but then will stop blowing again. Is there anything else that I should check? The fuses seem to be good, or should I get another climate control panel installed, this summer in socal has been pretty hot and I'm stuck without an ac! Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

quote: "I would have to wiggle the relay on the passenger side to get some air to blow but then will stop blowing again."

That statement there tells me that you still have a bad electrical connection. Either in the fuse box or the relay itself.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Technical Moderator

Stating year and model would help, some are different.

I ASSuME we are talking about a 2009 LT?

If jiggling the relay does something, that makes me think there is a problem with the contacts on the BCM.

Paying somebody to install a new switch is a waste of money, 2 screws and an electrical connector.

connect the 2 vertical red lines. Note that the switch supplies GROUND, the relay supplies +12V.

Name:  hvac1.PNG
Views: 4495
Size:  16.2 KB
Ac blower motor not blowing-hvac2.png
Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Hi there I have a 2009 LT HHR, sorry I don't know how to read an electrical diagram, could you please explain what I need to connect? The guy told me to only pay for parts but ended up not charging me anything so I just gave him 20 bucks.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 PM

The relay has been changed a couple times, would replacing the fuse box be difficult and would it have to come from a car exactly as mine? In regards to transmission and engine? Before taking it to the electrical shop I went and bought another relay thinking it was burnt but it still didn't work that's when the guy fixed a short apparently and the ac worked when he gave it back. The ac would go out at times still but will work most of the time and he blamed it on the climate control piece on the console and stated that's what caused the short. It seems as he only changed the knob in the center that changes the fan speed.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Reread my post #2. You said wiggling the relay would turn the fan on temporarily. That tells me that you've got a bad connection in that area. (Unless you're describing it wrong.)
If you can't read a wiring schematic, best to leave the work to someone else.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Technical Moderator

What I meant was the 2 vertical red lines would connect if I had not had to break the diagram. Disregard all of the horizontal lines on the upper picture, they are irrelevant to this discussion.

If you can't follow lines and read captions, don't waste your time. Maybe your "mechanic" can use it for something. I don't know what you are asking for.

It is highly improbable that the selector ever was the problem.

Seems obvious that something is not making good contact until you jiggle the relay, that would indicate that is the source of the problem. I guess the fix would be to continue jiggling the relay or show the schematic to somebody.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What I meant was the 2 vertical red lines would connect if I had not had to break the diagram. Disregard all of the horizontal lines on the upper picture, they are irrelevant to this discussion.

If you can't follow lines and read captions, don't waste your time. Maybe your "mechanic" can use it for something. I don't know what you are asking for.

It is highly improbable that the selector ever was the problem.

Seems obvious that something is not making good contact until you jiggle the relay, that would indicate that is the source of the problem. I guess the fix would be to continue jiggling the relay or show the schematic to somebody.
ah ok I thought they were 3 different pictures so I was a bit confused... what could I do to fix the bad connection? Would replacing the fuse panel be the best option?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Technical Moderator

Have your guy find it then fix it. A new BCM involves programming.