Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

AC Stopped

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:31 PM
Den

AC Stopped

Hi Folks, New here.
I have an issue with a 2011 HHR.
I've been reading some posts and was looking for clarification on an AC issue. Is the engine cooling fan supposed to come on when you turn on the AC?
My AC was working perfectly fine, and suddenly stopped.
Engine temp gauge works (although it never goes over half, never has, have had the car for 3years).
Digital engine temp works, engine cooling fan kicks on at 103°C.
All blower fan speeds work.
Can switch from heating to cooling variations.
Swapped around the under hood relays.
Checked fuses.
Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2021, 12:45 PM

Hi Den, to the forums!

There are fuses for the climate control system in both fuse blocks, underhood and interior.

Certain Check Engine Light codes will disable the AC.

Your system may have leaks, be under or over charged.

Your compressor may be bad, or the serpentine belt and/or tensioner may be bad.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Den

Thanks, I checked fuses in both locations.
No CEL, no codes.
Belt is good, no cracks.
Tension seems fine.
As far as the charge, as I said it was working fine, nice and cold.
I made a quick stop (3 minutes on a very hot day) started car blew cold for about 2 minutes, then hot.
No apparent blown lines/leaks.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the operative word you used is “was” , it was working and started to blow warm air, could be from over charging of R134A or a leak , possibly a stone or road debris or your compressor stopped working.
Either way , have a competent AC shop evacuate the old Freon and pull a vacuum to ensure there are no leaks, then recharge the system with fresh Freon .
If they find a leak, of course that will have to be addressed, first.
R134A doesn’t last long and yours is 10 years old now, so is very possible it’s just time for new Freon
Old 07-28-2021, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, the operative word you used is “was” , it was working and started to blow warm air, could be from over charging of R134A or a leak , possibly a stone or road debris or your compressor stopped working.
Either way , have a competent AC shop evacuate the old Freon and pull a vacuum to ensure there are no leaks, then recharge the system with fresh Freon .
If they find a leak, of course that will have to be addressed, first.
R134A doesn’t last long and yours is 10 years old now, so is very possible it’s just time for new Freon
I have to disagree with the statement above in red. As long as the system is working and there are no leaks, the freon will keep working. Freon doesn't go "bad" from age. The R134 in my Dodge is 23 years old. Works great and has pulled the temp down to 42 degrees F for all these years.
The OP should find a good shop to look at his problem. My 1st thing to look at would be to see if the compressor is even engaging.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Geese, Louise! Thanks FMG , your right, the google site I looked at said it has a shelf life of 10 years if stored correctly, I mistook that for how long it lasts in cars system.

https://www.freon.com/en/-/media/fil...4429a5e6ae141a
Old 07-28-2021, 03:17 PM

It could also be the AC headunit.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:16 PM

Is the compressor turning? You didn't accidentally turn the temp control, it should be all the way blue? Both my wife and my neighbor think it is supposed to be on the line for AC.
The analog temp gauge never goes above half until iy is too late.
Yes the cooling fan should be running if the AC compressor is.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:43 PM
Administrator

The ambient temperature sensor is also in the HVAC system is that reading correctly?
Old 07-29-2021, 02:07 PM

Here's what you do. Evacuate the system and vacuum for at least 30 minutes. Then refill the system with the factory recommended amount of 134a, this will be slightly less than 2 cans. Weigh the cans so you install the correct amount. Allow for filling the hoses in the gauges!
If the system holds vacuum it means there may not be any leaks, but not guaranteed. This should make the A/C work as new. Anything else can be a waste of time, assuming all of the electrical related components are working OK.
I did this with my HHR and now have a temperature drop of 58 degrees, that is the maximum the system is capable of doing.
Note- look at the hoses for any signs of oil. If there is any oil at the compression fitting replace the hose first! The only place that I have found that sells hoses that don't fail is O'Reilly's. The brand name is Murray. Order in advance, most of the time hoses are not in stock.

Quick Reply: AC Stopped