Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Which actuator do I need to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Which actuator do I need to replace?

I noticed my A/C wasn’t blowing cold air evenly through the vents. It turns out there’s about a 10 degree difference between the passenger and Driver’s side vents. The Driver’s side vents being the warmer of the two. I started researching and found out it’s probably a bad actuator, but I don’t know which one. It looks like there are 2 actuators? Both on the passenger’s side of the dash. I’ve found one is called the Blend door actuator that regulates heat and cold, but I don’t know what the other actuator is cold. I’m assuming based on my problems, that the blend door actuator needs to be replaced. Is this correct? Can anyone explain the two actuators to me and which one might be causing my issues?

thanks!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Administrator

From the library

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2007+...&client=safari

there is one above the glove box on the passenger side, one above the radio on the drivers side , need to determine which one, do you hear any clicking? Like the door won’t close?
Old 08-14-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
From the library

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2007+...&client=safari

there is one above the glove box on the passenger side, one above the radio on the drivers side , need to determine which one, do you hear any clicking? Like the door won’t close?
I don’t hear any clicking. It all sounds normal to me. I haven’t heard any clicking either or anything out of the ordinary.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Usually a failed actuator has that tell tail
Old 08-14-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Usually a failed actuator has that tell tail
I don’t know what else would cause the temp difference between the vents. Is there any other way to know an actuator is going bad or gone bad?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:31 PM

There are 3 actuators. If I had to guess, I would think that the mode actuator would be most likely to present with the symptoms you are describing.

You may also look to see if the duct to the driver side has come loose or is damaged, allowing the cold air to escape, and the warmer cabin air to enter.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
There are 3 actuators. If I had to guess, I would think that the mode actuator would be most likely to present with the symptoms you are describing.

You may also look to see if the duct to the driver side has come loose or is damaged, allowing the cold air to escape, and the warmer cabin air to enter.
The mode door actuator controls where the air comes out, right? Like the window vent, floor vents and so on.

ill check to see if maybe there’s a hole in the vents somewhere. The only thing I can think with the actuator is it’s not closing off properly which is allowing warm air to come through the drivers side vents.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Danman03
I don’t know what else would cause the temp difference between the vents. Is there any other way to know an actuator is going bad or gone bad?
A temp difference between vents. I would suspect the vent that is blowing warmer has a leak or partial disconnect on that duct work. A leak there would allow under dash, warmer air to be sucked into that duct for that vent. A long shot but something to look at.

Only bring this up because I just went through a similar issue on a new home HVAC system. Found a duct that was attached to the new unit had become dislodged. Was still getting air to blow thru but was sucking in that hot attic air.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
A temp difference between vents. I would suspect the vent that is blowing warmer has a leak or partial disconnect on that duct work. A leak there would allow under dash, warmer air to be sucked into that duct for that vent. A long shot but something to look at.

Only bring this up because I just went through a similar issue on a new home HVAC system. Found a duct that was attached to the new unit had become dislodged. Was still getting air to blow thru but was sucking in that hot attic air.
I’ll have to take everything apart to look. I just went out there and let my car run for about 15 minutes. I noticed the passenger door side vent was the coldest blowing around 68 degrees. The passenger side center vent was about 79 degrees. The drivers side center vent was 88 degrees and the drivers side door vent was 84 degrees. I went through all the different modes to see if I could hear any unusual noises, but didn’t notice anything.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge

Good thinking

Quick Reply: Which actuator do I need to replace?