Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

After having AAA jump Dead Battery...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:03 AM

After having AAA jump Dead Battery...

Hello.

It was raining when I turned the ignitition key on to drive home a few weeks ago, and without thinking I manually turned the headlights on, forgetting that they would come on automatically - Im still adjusting to having that feature, because this is something I've never had on my other cars.

I didnt' turn them off when I got home, and several hours later, the remote control didnt work when I pressed the unlock button. I call AAA and the driver was able to jumpstart the car without any problems. Within a few seconds, the car alarm began blowing full blast.. He was able to stop it pretty quickly and everything seemed to work ok.

My only problem is that the horn no longer chirps when I press then lock/unlock buttons. Im not sure how to reset it. It used to chirp when the lock button was pressed twice.

The doors are locking and unlocking when using the remote. Just have no sound. I think everything else works ok. It took a few hours for the tire pressure displays to reset, and I was hoping that the chirp may reset itself after a short time.. No luck.

Please give me some advice on what to do . Is there any easy fix?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 AM
Banned

Morning! I must admit, when I saw this post, I thought "oh no, someone else that got a jump to the Power Steering post under the hood."

Glad that wasn't the case.

As for accessing those features, you have to use the "Info" and "Return(enter symbol)" key, in that order, to access the features that you need. Vehicle must be in park to access(nice safety feature, right? ) and I believe you use Info to scroll through the options. If not then it's the arrows above.

The option you are looking for should read "Honk on Unlock?" Press Enter for the option, and change the status with one of the other keys.

Best of Luck.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 AM

thanks for your help. Now here is where Im going to embarrass myself. I don't know where to find the Info / return key ( symbols) . is it with the info button on the steering wheel? My remote control is completely separate from the key... it looks like it might not be original . what buttons do i push to find my way around?
Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Banned

Yes, it is located on the left control area of your steering wheel. Should be the bottom 2 buttons on the wheel. Fob has nothing to do with this part for switching it.

As I mentioned before, to navigate you use the other buttons. I did it by trial and error. And I no longer have my HHR, but I hang around because this was my "first" "newer" car. My family is here. I kept to the Chevy Brand though. Got a '15 Cruze.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

All those details are in the owners manual about the personalization menu and how to use it.

If you don't have a manual, we have them on this site for reading or download.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 AM

Link in my Sig to owners manual.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Hello Again - I perused the Online Owners Manual and located 2 sections that address how to operate and reset the Driver Information Center after having a dead battery... Specific information and instructions are included as follows: "Remote Keyless Entry System Operation" - applicable instructions in this section are located on pages 3-4 thru 3-8. "Personalization Menu Modes Section" - and applicable details are located on pages 4-55 thru 4-59.

I have reset the DIC to the default settings shown in the manual. Everything seems to work fine.. Except , there is no chirp anymore. ???

Ive been looking into the alarm system ... Is there a simple procedure to reset the arlarm after being disarmed? I have no idea where to go from here.

I don't know what the AAA mechanic did to stop the alarm after the car was jumped.
He did jump the battery from under the hood ... not the batttery itself.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:29 PM

That's in the book too. You take the key out for a few seconds the restart the car. The alarm resets when you use the fob to lock the doors. It will alarm if you lock with fob then open with key.

Sounds like AAA read the manual on jump starting.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 PM

Thanks for your patience. I'll go back to the manual again, but not right now.. lol
I havent had to research making any type of car repairs on any of the vehicles I've owned for at least 20 years... because i was driving new cars, under full svc warranties, while I ownded them.. And the funniest part of this is that I caused the problem myself. lol